What happens if something goes wrong during assessments?

Sometimes things happen that are difficult to prepare for, for instance, being ill or your laptop might stop working. We’ve put together a list of questions to help you understand what happens next and what you can do. 

I want to speak to someone about assessments

If you have a question or need information you can contact our friendly colleagues in the Student Information Service. They can help you if you’ve got questions about any part of the assessment process, from revision to lost property, finding a study space to appeals. They’ll help you find out what you need to know, and put you in touch with the right people if you need more specialist support or advice.

Call us

Our Helpline Team are on hand Monday to Friday 9-5 pm.

  • Call +44 (0)113 343 7000 (from outside of the UK)
  • Call 0800 915 0402 (from inside the UK. This is a free phone number, and you won’t be charged for calling this from your mobile or landline).

Email us

You can email us at studentinfo@leeds.ac.uk

Speak to us, face to face

Our Information Points are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. 

 If you have a question that is not answered here please email the Assessment & Progress Team via the email address Examinations@leeds.ac.uk including your name, student identification number, programme of study and (if applicable to your query) module codes and modules titles.  

I am taking my assessments at home, what do I do if my IT equipment breaks? Or I don't have access to IT equipment.

You are responsible for making sure you’ve got the right IT equipment and facilities for your assessments if you are taking assessments at home. However, if your equipment breaks, or you don’t have the right facilities at home, contact your Student Support Team as soon as possible.  If unsure who to contact in the school, see the School Contacts webpage for information.

I believe something has gone wrong with IT systems during my assessments

If you have a problem accessing IT systems (such as Minerva), check the IT Service Status page to see if it is a widespread problem. 
If you still need IT help, visit the IT website for self-help, tips and information, to tell us something is broken, or request equipment or software. You can also chat with Falco, our 24/7 chatbot.  

How can I get Assessment Access Arrangements during assessments?

Assessments have been designed to be inclusive so fewer individual assessments should be needed. If you need any adjustments during assessments you should contact Disability Services as soon as possible to arrange an assessment of needs.  Contact details can be found on the Disability Services at Leeds webpage. The deadline for an assessment of needs can be found on the Assessment Access Arrangements webpage.

I am ill and cannot attend my assessment what should I do?

If you are unwell and cannot attend an assessment, you should contact your Parent School as soon as possible to inform them and to ask about submitting a mitigating circumstances form. The Mitigating Circumstances Guidance webpage contains useful information, links, School contact information and the mitigating circumstances form.

I am unable to complete the assessment because of my disability

All assessments have been designed with accessibility in mind, however, if you are concerned about the type or method of assessment, or you are concerned that you will not be able to access the relevant system, you should contact your School as soon as possible to discuss this. Your School will be happy to work with you and Disability Services to find an appropriate solution.  Contact details can be found on the Disability Services at Leeds webpage and School Contacts webpage.

My internet failed during an online time limited assessment, what should I do?

You will have been provided with details of how to contact your school for support during your online time limited assessment. If you experience technical difficulties during an online time limited assessment, you should contact your school as soon as possible to make them aware of this.  Please note that IT issues are not normally accepted as Mitigating Circumstances.  Contact information can be found on the School Contacts webpage.