How to keep your belongings safe when you're not at home
Leeds is generally a fairly safe city, however by taking a few simple steps, you can keep your belongings safe if you’re away for a weekend or a holiday.
• Don’t leave any valuables on show through a window. Lock them away safely or take them home with you.
• Take extra care when leaving for extended breaks to check your windows and doors and secure and locked. Speak to your landlord immediately if you can’t do this.
• Control your lights with a timer switch over the festive season so that it looks like someone is at home.
• If you are friendly with a neighbour let them know that you will be away, they can keep an eye out for anything suspicious and take any parcels while you are away.
• If you have a house alarm then take the time to make sure this is set.
• Make sure that bedroom doors are locked (where fitted)
• Always password protect your mobile, laptop and other electrical items.
• In the event of anything happening you are more likely to get your electrical items back if they are secured, tracked and registered with immobilise – the UK national property register (www.immobilise.com).
• Mark electronics with a UV pen detailing your postcode, university name and student number.