Brexit information for students

Leeds is an international university, and we continue to attract, welcome and support students from across Europe and around the world. This page provides information about applying to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) for EU/EEA/Swiss students who were resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, as well as links to information for other groups of current and prospective students.

This page was last updated on 18 March 2021.  


Immigration status and permission

As part of the Withdrawal Agreement, if you were resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 then you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). 

We recommend you apply to the EUSS if:

  • you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 and plan to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021 

  • you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 and plan to leave and re-enter the UK after 1 January 2021 

  • you were previously resident in the UK but have recently been absent for certain reasons (for example if you have been remote studying in term 1) 

This page provides further advice for students who can apply to the EUSS.  

Students who are not eligible to apply for EUSS can find further information here:

  • If you are a new EU/EEA/Swiss student intending to travel to UK after 1 January 2021, for a period of 6 months or more, please see our information about applying for a visa  
  • If you an EU/EEA/Swiss exchange student intending to travel to the UK after 1 January 2021, for a period of less than 6 months, please see our visa information   
  • If you are a UK citizen planning to or already working or studying in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, please see our Brexit information for students  

The UK Government website provides a useful online tool to check if you need a UK visa and what you need at the UK border.


Applying to EUSS If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national who was resident in the UK before 31 December 2020

EU/EEA/Swiss citizens and their eligible family members who were resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, can apply for immigration permission to remain in the UK under the UK government’s EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS).  This maintains your rights to live, work and study as an EU national and will give you the option of remaining in the UK for up to 5 years if you wish. 

The EUSS application process is free and user-friendly. 

You must provide evidence of your identity (digital passport) and a photograph of your face, evidence of UK residence, and declare certain criminal convictions. 

If you remain resident in the UK, you can submit the EUSS application up until 30 June 2021. We recommend you apply as soon as possible. If you are granted Pre-Settled Status, you will be able to travel out of and return to the UK without obtaining further immigration permission after 1 January 2021. 

If you left the UK (e.g. for the winter break) and are planning to return after 31 December 2020, we recommend you apply to EUSS straight away and carry evidence of your pre-settled/settled status, and other proof of residence such as a tenancy agreement, with you when you travel. 

If you have not yet arrived or returned to the UK you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC card), in your home country before travelling.  

If you already have EU Permanent Residence/ILR as an EU national: 

If you already hold EU Permanent Residence or Indefinite Leave to Remain as an EU national, read this information about applying under the EU Settlement Scheme as this may offer additional benefits. 

British Citizenship: 

If you are considering applying for British Citizenship in the future, please read the eligibility requirements.  

If you were previously resident in the UK but have recently been absent  

The EUSS is also available to those who were resident in the UK before the end of the transition period and who meet the eligibility criteria, but who are temporarily absent from the UK for certain reasons (eg. pregnancy, study, and absences directly related to COVID-19 may be considered).  If you have lived in the UK before, you should apply straight away or before the deadline for applying, which is 30 June 2021, even if you are currently overseas (for example, you are studying remotely, or you are currently in a period of study abroad).  

UKCISA have also published information about EU Settlement Scheme and absences from the UK due to coronavirus.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): EU Settlement Scheme - guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (


Further information  

Immigration permission:  

EUSS applications

EUSS application video


UKCISA – Student and Visitor Visas

If you need further advice

If you have specific questions, please contact the International Student Advisers (Visas and Immigration) 

Fees and Finance 

For information about fees and finance for current and future taught students and postgraduate researchers, please see our Brexit information for students.   


Information about healthcare for EU nationals, after the UK has left the EU, is available on the UK Government website and on our Healthcare page.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has more detailed information on how healthcare works in the UK.

While the University endeavours to keep this information as up to date as possible, it cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies. For the latest information from the government, please visit GOV.UK. Regularly updated Brexit FAQs for universities and students are also available on the Universities UK website