If you hold a scholarship or studentship from the University, you may receive maintenance payments, also known as a stipend.

If you receive a scholarship administered by your faculty, school, or the Postgraduate Scholarships Office, then details of your stipend or maintenance payments will be outlined in your scholarship award or renewal letter.

When are stipend payments made?

Most maintenance payments are made monthly and in advance (some international scholarship award holders are paid quarterly in advance – this will be outlined in your scholarship award or renewal letter). 

Monthly payments are always due on the 1st of the month for the month ahead but are often paid slightly earlier. This is because payments clear on a Friday, so where the 1st of the month is not also a Friday, payments will clear the preceding Friday instead. Therefore, for budgeting purposes you should use the 1st of the month when arranging direct debits and standing orders.   

Christmas, Easter, and Bank Holidays may impact on the payment day, though payments will always be earlier than the standard date, rather than later. 

How will I recieve my stipend?

Student payments are processed by BACS (Bankers Automated Clearing System) so go directly from the University of Leeds into your bank account. We can only make a payment if you have completed registration and provided your UK bank account details. 

You will need to complete registration by 10am on a Monday (both new and returning students) to receive your due maintenance instalment in your bank account by Friday of the same week.  

You will not be able to register for study until approximately four weeks before your start or renewal date at the earliest, to allow time for us to put your funding in place. 

We can only make maintenance payments into UK-based accounts.  If you need to open an account before you are in the UK, although we cannot help you with this there are some organisations that do provide this service:  

Please be aware we are not supporting or endorsing these companies or their services. You must make your own decision on whether to use them. 

What can disrupt my scholarship payments?

Providing an authorised payment request has been received by the Funding team, your payment will be processed if bank account details are in place and you have completed registration.  

Maintenance payments will not normally be paid if you: 

  • haven’t registered 
  • have withdrawn 
  • are under examination 
  • have suspended 
  • have completed your programme 
  • are classed as an external student 

Payment can only be made in these circumstances if your school or faculty has agreed to do so, and the decision has been communicated to the Funding team.

For more information or support

For any questions about your funding and maintenance payments, please contact your Graduate School first.  

Queries relating to centrally-funded scholarship awards should be sent to the Postgraduate Scholarships Office.

You can also contact the Funding team.