Students on eligible healthcare courses, and who meet the overall eligibility criteria, can apply for the Training Grant:
- The Training Grant is a non-means tested and non-repayable grant of £5,000 per academic year. The grant is intended to help towards maintenance and study costs.
- In addition, for courses starting on or after 1st September 2020, all students who are eligible for the Training Grant and who are studying one of the listed specialist subjects* can receive an additional £1,000 Specialist Subject Payment, per academic year. Students do not need to apply separately for the Specialist Subject payment as eligibility will be determined as part of the Training Grant application
An application for the Training Grant will need to be submitted by the start of each academic year.
- mental health nursing
- learning disability nursing
- radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- prosthetics and orthotics
- orthoptics and podiatry
For further information regarding eligible courses and personal eligibility please see the NHS website.
Please Note, the Learning Support Funding, including the Training Grant and Specialist Subject Payment, is NOT considered as an NHS bursary by the Student Loans Company. When you apply for your loans via the Student Loans Company you will be asked if you are in receipt of an NHS bursary. You should answer ‘NO’ to this question if you are receiving the Training Grant.