Progress and attendance monitoring

To help you complete your research degree on time, your attendance and your progress with your studies will be monitored.

Please see the Code of practice for research degree candidatures for a summary of the responsibilities of postgraduate researchers. The code of practice also provides a summary of the responsibilities of a supervisor.

Progression milestones

There are four main processes or events which we use to monitor your progress, all supported by the GRAD system. These are:
·    Supervision meetings
·    Your first formal progress review
·    The transfer process (for doctoral candidates)
·    Your annual progress reviews

Your supervisors will produce regular reports on your progress as part of the above processes, as well as monitoring your progress in acquiring generic and subject/professional skills. Your progress will be reviewed against your training plan and relevant learning outcomes.
At each stage you will be asked to provide a review of your progress and be given the opportunity to comment on any issues which have had a negative effect on your progress.
You can review the deadlines for your own milestones on GRAD. Please note that deadlines can vary depending on your programme and your school or faculty requirements.  

Supervision meetings

Your Graduate School will check your supervision meeting records regularly to ensure that you are attending meetings regularly. Records must be kept of all formal supervision meetings in GRAD. It is your responsibility, in partnership with your supervisor, to keep these records. 
 For details of how many meetings are required, as well as other information about the role of the meetings, please see the Supervision meetings page of the For Students website.

First formal progress report

This will be completed at six months of study (full-time) or nine months (part-time). The report will include an assessment of your progress, progress against your training plan and an assessment of English Language ability. More information is available on the First formal progress review page of the For Students website.

Progress report: transfer stage

If you are registered on a doctoral programme, the Progress report: transfer stage will be take place immediately before the transfer stage. The report will include an assessment of your work to date, your progress against your training plan and your English language ability as well as ethical and data storage requirements. More information on the Transfer page of the For Students website.

Annual progress review (post-transfer)

After you have passed transfer, your progress will be monitored annually until you submit your thesis.
There are two models for annual progress review meetings:
Model A:  a meeting with you conducted by your supervisors together with an independent member of staff who is not part of your supervisory team. This model is used by FBS, EPS and Medicine and Health.
Model B:  a meeting between you and your supervisors.  The report of the meeting will be reviewed by a committee within your faculty or school. This model is used by AHC, Business, Environment, Social Sciences.
More information is available on the Annual progress review - post transfer page of the For Students website.

Monitoring attendance 

GRAD is the main method we will use to monitoring attendance and progress. It is vital that you maintain GRAD regularly so that your records are up to date.  This is one of your responsibilities as outlined in the University’s Code of Practice for Research Degree Candidature. 
Graduate Schools regularly monitor your GRAD records and will contact you and your supervisors if they are not up to date, escalating to the DPGRS when required. Prolonged and unexplained absence from your studies or failure to maintain your GRAD record may lead to the triggering of formal procedures (including the presumed withdrawn process) and ultimately withdrawal and reporting to UKVI (students on a ‘Tier 4’ or Student Visa).
For more information see the PGR Attendance Monitoring Policy on the Student Education Service (SES) website.  
Any absence from study must be recorded on GRAD and authorised by your Graduate School. A period of temporary leave from your studies can be supported through a suspension of study, authorised absence or annual leave. You can apply for these through the change request menu in GRAD. Your Graduate School can also provide further advice on these processes. You can also find more information on the Taking time out from your research page on the For Students website.

What happens if I don't make satisfactory progress?

If there are serious concerns with your academic progress, the Progress Support Process (PSP) may be instigated as a supportive measure, to help you to get back on track with your research. If you persistently neglect your work, fail to make progress or to achieve a satisfactory academic standard after the PSP has been implemented, you may be required to withdraw from the University. You can find out more information about this process on the Progress Support Process (PSP) page of the For Students website.