What you will need to register

To help make sure that you have the right documents and information to complete your registration, we’ve outlined what you will need for each step of registration based on the type of student you are.

This page gives details on required information and documentation for registration. For more details on the process, see our webpages about how to register and how to complete your identity check.  

New students

Part A - online registration   

To complete online registration, you will need:

  • Fee payment information: if you are sponsored, you will need to provide a sponsor letter to Sponsors@leeds.ac.uk. If you are not sponsored, you may need to pay your fee, provide your UK bank account details or evidence of your support from Student Finance. If you don’t already have a UK bank account, we have provided further guidance about opening a UK bank account.
  • Address details: you will be asked to confirm your home, term time and emergency contact address details and telephone numbers during online registration.
  • Student number (some situations only): this is the nine digit number on your offer letter, your welcome letter/email, or your applicant portal (for taught postgraduates). This will be used to help identify you if you need to ask for help registering, and in some tuition fee situations.

Your original academic qualifications may need to be verified in person before you can access online registration. More information will be provided to those who need to provide further documentation as part of the registration process.

Part B - online identity check

Please see our guidance on completing identity checks.  

To complete your online identity check, you will need to be in the UK and will need to provide images of your identity document(s) and, if applicable, immigration permission document(s).  

For a detailed description of the documents required to complete your identity check please see our webpage dedicated to what documents you will need to provide.  

For more information about collecting your biometric residence permit (BRP) please see our collecting your biometric residence permit page

Once you have submitted your identity check form, and a member of staff has completed processing your documents, you will be invited to book an appointment to collect a student card.  If you are also collecting a BRP you will collect this at the same time.

Returning students (including students completing a year abroad or in industry)

You can complete online registration through Student Services (studentservices.leeds.ac.uk). You will still need to do this if you're doing a year abroad or in industry. 

Please note if you are:

  • Returning from temporary leave: confirm your return with your School before you register. If your student card has expired, complete online registration before exchanging your old card for a new one. 
  • Returning from temporary leave due to medical reasons: you’ll also need to provide a "fit to return" medical note to your school before you can register. 
  • An international student who is resitting or has taken temporary leave: contact the International Student  Advice and Support team for advice on your visa requirements.
  • Resitting your year as an external student: you will not be required to register as a student (and are not considered registered while studying externally) when resitting your assessments externally, but you do need to apply for your resist. Apply via the Results and Resit Application page (available through Minerva).
  • Returning from a period of suspension (Postgraduate Researchers only): your Graduate School will contact you to confirm your return to studies and detail any documents you may need to provide.

You can find out more about the registration process on our how to register page.