Providing your supporting information

You must provide supporting information about your disability to access support from Disability Services.  Please talk to our friendly team if you have any questions about the information you have.

What type of supporting information do I need? 

The information required depends both on your disability and the level of support you are requesting. 

The University of Leeds supporting information form

[Please note, this cannot be used for Specific Learning Difficulties]

The best way to gather the correct information is to ask your GP, consultant or other medical professional to complete our supporting information form (Word).  This will enable us to capture the supporting documents we need to register you with our Service. You can also use the form to apply for disability-related funding, such as Disabled Students’ Allowances.  

Download the form (Word).

Electronic information

In some cases we may be able to accept supporting information which is held electronically, such as information from the NHS App or your GP’s portal.  If you screenshot this, the image must also include identifying information, such as your name or date of birth.  If it does not show this information, you may be asked to come to a drop-in so that we can verify that the information belongs to you.

The supporting information checker tool

Our handy checker will tell you the types of support you could access with the information you have. You may find it useful to check this first.

Your supporting information must:

  • Be on official headed paper 
  • Be signed by the medical professional, or someone acting on their behalf (‘p.p’)
  • Be as up to date as possible (this is not as vital if it is a long-term or life-long condition) 
  • Give a clear clinical/medical diagnosis of a disability that is likely to affect your ability to do everyday or academic tasks  
  • Clearly state that your disability is long-term (i.e. has lasted, or is likely to last, for at least 12 months)  
  • Indicate the impact your disability has on your daily life, particularly your studies 
  • Be written in English or be a formally certified translation 
  • Be sent to us directly either by email on or in person. It should not be sent to us via a third party, such as your GP