Change of personal details

Please let the University know immediately about any changes to your personal details so your records are up to date.

This webpage gives guidance on how to update your identity information, addresses and/or telephone numbers, and informing the University about a change to your nationality. 

Identity information

Your identity information includes your name, gender and title. 

The University’s student database records your name in two formats, which are both used for formal verification purposes (Official Name and First, Middle, Last). These should therefore be a reflection of your official name and match each other exactly. If you are requesting a change of name, you will need to provide supporting documentation. 

For changes to gender and/or title (not related to professional standing), these can be requested without supporting documentation. 

How to update your identity

To update your identity information, please complete an Identity Change Request webform, available on the Equality & Inclusion Unit Identity Management webpage. If you are changing your name, you will need to provide one of the official documents from this list:

  • Current Passport (and immigration permission for international students)
  • Driving Licence
  • Deed Poll/Change of Name Deed
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate
  • Statutory Declaration

Further information on updating your identity

If you are an international student a name change will impact your immigration permission. If you have not yet updated your passport and immigration permission with the new information you can contact the Student Visa Advice team for guidance.

Exam seating lists will be updated as quickly as possible after you request a change of identity. However, where a change is close to an exam period, in limited situations it may not be possible to reflect your change on the seating list. If this causes you concern, please email the Exams team at (

You will also be asked to confirm your name is correct when you register for each academic year, and when registering for graduation. Please note your Graduation Certificate will show your Official Name, and does not include any prefixes or suffixes. 

All changes must be made before you complete your studies to be processed within our standard procedures. If you do wish to change your name after the completion of your studies, please email the Certificates team at for further advice.

Change of address and/or telephone number

The University needs to hold your permanent home and term time addresses and telephone numbers, along with the address and phone details for named emergency contacts.

Please update your address and emergency contact details through Student Services. Once logged in to Student Services, select 'Personal information' and follow the links for addresses. You can download guidance on updating your addresses here (PDF).

If you are registered with Leeds Student Medical Practice, you must also inform them about your change of address separately. The University will not do this for you.

Change of nationality

Your nationality will be confirmed during your identity check when you start a new course at the University. If any updates are required to your nationality after your identity check, you will need to provide official documentation to support this before the update can be made. Please email a scan or photograph of these official documents to the Student Documents team at