The Turing Scheme; everything you need to know about your grant
Find out about payments, additional funding, repayment and more.
When are payments made?
Cost of Living Grants
Cost of Living Grants are usually paid in two instalments. The first payment will be paid once all necessary documentation has been completed, and this will be for approximately 70% of the grant for the total duration of your placement. The second instalment, which will be for the remaining 30% of your grant, will be paid at the end of your placement once we have received evidence from your host university or employer that you have completed the placement, with confirmation of exact dates.
Travel Grant (only applicable to students who qualify for the URB Grant)
The Turing Team will aim to process your Travel grant approximately six weeks before the start of your placement. If this is not possible, you will receive your Travel grant at the same time as your first Cost of Living instalment.
Additional Funding for Special Educational Needs or Disabilities
If eligible for Special Educational Needs or Disabilities funding, this will be paid at appropriate times after your eligibility has been verified. Funding will be paid directly to the organisation providing the support (e.g., Disability Services). We will work with each student independently to support individual needs.
I started my placement before submitting my application form. Am I eligible to receive funding for the time I spent on placement prior to submitting my application?
If you started your placement before applications for 2022/23 Turing Scheme funding opened, you will be eligible to receive funding from your start-of-placement date as long as your risk assessment paperwork was approved prior to the start of your placement. E.g., if you started your placement on September 7th and you submitted your Turing Scheme application form on October 5th, you will be eligible to receive funding for these 4 weeks provided that your risk assessment was approved before September 7th.
Please note that if you started your placement before September 1st 2022, you will be eligible for funding from September 1st as this is the first day in the 2022/23 Turing Scheme calendar.
What happens if I need to study or work remotely?
The Turing Scheme is unable to offer funding for remote placements. If your host institution has switched to remote learning/ working, please contact your Activity Lead and the Turing team as soon as possible so that we can advise you on the next steps.
What do I do if my placement has been cancelled/ I am unable to travel abroad?
Please contact your Activity Lead and the Turing team as soon as possible so that we can advise you on the next steps.
What do I do if the details of my placement have changed? E.g., change in dates/ host institution
Please contact your Activity Lead in the first instance. They will forward your updated placement details to the Turing team. If your placement details have changed before you have received your first Cost of Living instalment, the Turing team will send you a Grant Agreement Amendment and you will be asked to confirm that you agree to the terms and conditions of your new grant via email.
If your placement ends up being shorter than expected, you will be required to pay back any grant money that has been overpaid. If that is a significant amount, the University will support you to pay it back in manageable instalments. If this applies to you, and you leave your placement earlier than expected, please let us know as soon as possible by emailing TuringScheme@leeds.ac.uk.
It is important to note that your grant agreement is legally binding and failure to pay back any overpayment may result in legal action. If you know you are going to have to make a repayment, please let us know and we will do our best to support you.
If you have further questions or need support, please contact us at TuringScheme@leeds.ac.uk.
Please communicate with the Turing team using your Leeds email account and provide your Student ID number in all communications.