Drugs and alcohol

This section includes the university approach to students using drugs and alcohol, where to access information and support and details about disciplinary processes.

We’re a harm reduction University. 

We don’t condone the use of illegal drugs or the misuse of prescription drugs or alcohol at the University of Leeds. But we understand that some students may choose to take drugs or drink alcohol during their time at Leeds. 

Our harm reduction stance means we’re committed to reducing harm by offering the support, resources and education students need to feel safe, make informed choices, and succeed – at Leeds and in their futures. 


There are plenty of places you can get specialist support on campus, in Leeds, and beyond.

Help in an emergency 

If you or someone else are in danger, including an overdose, act fast and get help immediately.  

Help on campus 

If you have an emergency on campus or in University accommodation, contact the University Security Services at 0113 343 2222. They are available 24 hours a day to help and can work with other emergency services to get you help quickly. 

Help off campus 

If your emergency is not on campus, call 999.  

Other ways to get help 

Explore other ways to get help including for health crises, helplines, and mental health crises. 

Specialist support on campus 

If you’re concerned about your own drinking or drug use, or another student’s, there’s support available for you on campus.  

Student Counselling and Wellbeing 

The Student Counselling and Wellbeing team offer free, confidential support to all students at Leeds. The service is a multi-professional team of Counsellors, Wellbeing Practitioners and Mental Health Advisors who are trained to help with a range of difficulties including substance abuse.  

LUU Help and Support 

LUU Help and Support are a confidential service, independent from the University. They offer expert advice to students and can help you navigate things like substance abuse and addictions support. LUU Help and Support often work with University services like Student Counselling and Wellbeing to get you the support you need.  

Harassment and Misconduct team 

The Harassment and Misconduct team are the University’s recommended first point of contact for any student who has been impacted by violence, abuse, bullying, harassment or discrimination. This includes drink and needle spiking. The specialist team offer confidential support and information to help you choose what next step feels right for you.  

Residence Life Wardens 

If you live in University accommodation and feel you are struggling with drugs or alcohol, you can speak to your Residence Life Warden. They can help connect you to support. Residence Life Wardens will respect your confidentiality and seeking help won't get you into trouble or lead to any punishment. 

External support and information 

If you’d prefer to get support outside of the University, there are plenty of local and national organisations you can connect with. 

Forward Leeds  

Forward Leeds offers free, confidential alcohol and drug support for people in Leeds. They have an experienced and professional team that focuses on helping people choose not to misuse alcohol and drugs, and reduce risk-taking behaviour through dedicated prevention, intervention and support.  

Phone: 0113 887 2477 

Email: info@forwardleeds.co.uk 


FRANK offers confidential advice and honest information about drugs. You can get in touch to ask a question or for advice by phone, text, or email. 

Phone: 0300 123 6600 

Text: 82111  

Email: frank@talktofrank.com 

Narcotics Anonymous 

Narcotics Anonymous offers peer support to anyone who has a problem with drugs. Members support each other to get and stay clean. They can be contacted by phone and there are meetings held regularly in Leeds and online.  

Phone: 0300 999 1212 

Alcoholics Anonymous 

Alcoholics Anonymous offers peer support to anyone in the UK who wants help with their own drinking problem. Alcoholics Anonymous can be contacted by phone or email, and there are local groups who meet in Leeds.   

Phone: 0800 917 7650 

Email: help@aamail.org   

Alcohol Change  

Alcohol Change is a UK charity that focuses on reducing alcohol harm. Their website offers support, interactive tools, tips, and education to understand and manage your drinking.  


Drinkline is a free, confidential helpline for people who are concerned about their drinking or someone else’s.  

Phone: 0300 123 1110 


Drinkaware offers education, resources, and support to help you reduce or stop drinking, support others, understand the effects of drinking, and more.


Disciplinary action

Any student involved in antisocial or criminal behaviour, including using or supplying illegal drugs, will face disciplinary action from the University. You also may be referred to the West Yorkshire Police.

In accommodation 

The University has a legal responsibility to ensure that its premises are not used for illegal drug activity – this includes your University accommodation. We are committed to providing a safe environment for all students in our accommodation, so it is important that you understand our policy regarding illegal drugs to maintain a secure and healthy community. 

The University's policy on illegal drugs also extends to off-campus activities that impact the University, its students, or staff. If your involvement in illegal drug activities off University premises affects the welfare of the University community, disciplinary action may be taken, and you may be reported to the police. 

We take a particularly serious view of anyone involved in the supply of illegal drugs, including providing drugs to friends. Engaging in such activities is strictly prohibited, and any individuals found to be involved will face severe consequences, including disciplinary action and potential legal ramifications. 

Remember, the possession and use of illegal drugs is against the law. A drug conviction, or even a caution, could get you expelled from the University and seriously restrict your eligibility for certain careers. We expect all residents to adhere to the laws and regulations governing illegal drugs. By complying with this policy, we can create a safe and supportive community for everyone.




When you sign up to the Student Contract, you agree to abide by the rules, regulations, procedures and codes governing your studies, learning and conduct at the University. This includes alcohol, drug and substance abuse. Explore student regulations and rules for taught students.  

Leeds University Union  

LUU has also adopted a harm reduction approach. Find out more about their approach and LUU policies related to drugs and alcohol.  

Accommodation contract 

When you accept your accommodation contract you agree to follow the terms and conditions of living in University accommodation. This includes disciplinary regulations around the use of illegal drugs. View your accommodation contract.