What to bring

We know there can be a lot to remember when you’re packing for university. To help you, we've put together a list of important documents and items you might need. 

Essential documents for your journey


Essential documents 

Bring the documents in the following list in your hand luggage. You may need to show these documents to enter the UK. 

  • Passport 
  • Visa (if required) and the letter you receive when your visa is issued
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate and letter from the University – if required
  • Your academic offer letter
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – if required
  • Original academic qualification certificates and English language test report – remember to bring formal translations if your documents are not in English
  • Proof of fees paid – if paid in advance
  • Sponsorship letter – if applicable
  • Proof that you will have the money to pay your fees and to support yourself while living in the UK – including bank statements
  • Marriage and birth certificates for you and your family – if applicable
  • Proof of address in your home country – this could be either a letter from the University sent to your home address or a recent letter from your bank
  • Proof of your UK address
  • University accommodation contract – if applicable
  • Health and insurance documents (see the ‘Health and insurance documents’ section below)
  • Evidence of any ongoing medical condition (see ‘Medication’ section below)
  • Certificate enabling you to work with vulnerable people if needed (see the ‘Work documents’ section below)

Health and insurance documents 

Before being allowed to enter the UK, you may need to:

  • provide proof that you have been screened for tuberculosis. Find out if you need a tuberculosis test certificate.
  • bring any vaccination and health check records for you and any family members coming with you to the UK, including evidence that you have been vaccinated for Meningitis C and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR). Find more information under the vaccination section.

It’s also important that you:


If you have an ongoing medical condition, check before you travel:

If your medicine is on the list of controlled drugs in the UK, check what you'll need to show on arrival. These could include a letter from your doctor explaining:  

  • your diagnosis (the name of your medical condition).
  • the name and dose of your medication.
  • any monitoring requirements, such as regular blood tests. 

Bring this letter and your medication in the original packets to show your doctor when you arrive in Leeds.

If you have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), you should also check the ADHD medication available in the UK.  

Work documents  

If you want to do paid or voluntary work in the UK which involves working with young people under the age of 18 or vulnerable adults, you will need to:

  • apply for a criminal records check
  • bring your criminal record check certificate with you to the UK

We recommend you allow plenty of time to apply for this, as the checking process can take several weeks. 

Find out how to apply for a criminal records check before you arrive in the UK.

You will also need:

  • A bank card that you can use in the UK. It can take a few weeks to open a bank account. Find out more about arranging money for when you arrive.
  • Enough cash to pay for a taxi from Leeds city centre to your accommodation if needed. Be aware that taxi drivers don’t accept £50 notes for short journeys. Make sure you bring £10 and £20 notes with you.  
  • Contact details and address for your accommodation and the 24-hour University Security Services..


Deciding what to pack for a year or some years abroad can be hard to do. Leeds is an extremely multicultural city, with many shops selling international ingredients and kitchen appliances that will allow you to cook just like at home.

If your accommodation doesn’t provide kitchen equipment, bedding or toiletry, you can order these to be delivered directly to your accommodation before you arrive via UniKitOut

You’ll also be able to get some of your things sent to the UK during the year so it’s important you pack smartly and keep your luggage light to help your journey go smoother. Remember that you’ll have to carry your own bags outside airports and on connecting trains and coaches, if you’re travelling by public transport.

If you’re using the University’s airport transport from Leeds Bradford or Manchester Airport, please also note that the maximum luggage allowed onboard is two large suitcases and one small suitcase. If you need to bring more luggage, consider arranging to send things from home when you have moved into your permanent accommodation. 

What not to bring

Customs regulations in the UK are very strict. Make sure you read more about what you cannot bring into the UK on customs advice for travellers entering the UK. 

The following items are not allowed in university accommodation: 

  • portable electric or gas heaters 
  • chip pans 
  • fairy lights 
  • candles 
  • incense sticks, oil lamps, or anything else that's a fire hazard 
  • pets or animals, except guide dogs (please let us know if you are bringing a guide dog) 
  • anything that could harm you or others, eg airguns or any other form of weapon, chemicals, or fireworks 
  • DJ equipment (unless you use headphones) 

Chat to Link to Leeds Ambassadors

Get more tips on packing for Leeds by joining our events or chat with a Link to Leeds ambassador to find out more about life in Leeds.