Student ID card

Your student ID card opens the doors of the University for you. Find out what it can do for you and how to get a replacement should you need one.

Your student ID card remains property of the University. Please look after it and keep it safe until you leave the University. 

Why do I need a student ID card? 

New students should collect an ID card as part of the registration process. Your student ID card is your key to the University and it:

  • identifies you as a student of the University of Leeds
  • allows you to use Leeds University Union
  • works as your University Library Card - you need it to enter Library buildings and borrow books
  • provides you with access to computing facilities
  • allows you to use Sport and Physical Activity facilities (if you're a member)
  • is used as official ID for University examinations
  • can offer discounts in various shops

You will not be fully registered with the University until you have completed online registration and an ID check. If you don't complete your online registration and ID check, we could terminate your registration.

Fraudulent use

If a student ID card is used fraudulently, you'll be subject to action under the University Disciplinary Procedure. This might not only involve you, but also anyone you've lent it to if this can be proved. 

Replacement cards

You can collect a replacement card at the Student Services Centre Counter, located on Level 9, Marjorie & Arnold Ziff Building.

If you are unable to visit the Student Services Centre during normal opening times (part-time or distance-learning students, or those on work/study placements), it is possible to obtain a card remotely.

Lost and stolen cards

If you've lost your card and it is handed in to the Student Services Centre, we will email you to collect it. Please check your University email account before requesting a replacement.

If your card has not been handed in, you will need to collect a replacement from the Student Services Centre Counter. Replacement cards cost £10; you can make this payment via the online store before you visit us.

As there have been a number of fraudulent theft claims, this charge applies irrespective of the reason for the loss.

Damaged cards

You can replace a damaged student ID card at the Student Services Centre provided you return the damaged card to us. If it has snapped, you must bring all of the pieces with you in order to replace your card. This service is free of charge provided that damage is normal wear and tear.

Expired cards

Your student ID card will last for the duration of your current course at the University. If you're a current student whose course has been extended (eg students who have intercalated, taken a year abroad or in industry) and your student card has expired, you'll need to collect a new card from the Student Services Centre Counter. If you no longer have your expired card this will be treated as a lost card and you'll have to pay for a replacement.

If you are starting a new course then you are classed as a new student and will need to find out how to collect a new student card.

Student ID card photos

Whenever a student ID card is issued by the University the staff will take your photograph and issue your ID card on the spot.