Calculating the cost of work placements

Whether you thinking about a work placement in the UK or abroad, there are certain costs you should consider before you start your placement.

Costs to consider 

Your tuition fee will be reduced for your placement year. 

Tuition fees for work placements

UK/EU students

The UK/EU fee for work placements are capped by the UK government. The fee you pay is relative to the full tuition fee you would have paid during that year. For example, if you're a UK or EU student paying the £9,250 tuition fee, the reduced work placement fee will be £1,385. For students paying the £9,000 tuition fee, the reduced fee will be £1,350.


If you're an international student, this amount will depend on your year of entry. 

Work placements in the UK

Although costs in the UK may not be too different from being in Leeds, there are a number of things you should plan before you start.

The Careers Centre can give you advice if you are on an unpaid work placement. They can also give you general information on areas to plan before starting work experience or a placement.

If you have questions about work placements, the specific placement contacts in your school will be the best place to start.

UK work placement - London weighting

If your work placement is in London you can claim for the London weighting on your Student Loan. You must give your work address and your residential address on your application (or as soon as possible if you don’t know at the time). You need to update your term time address in Student Services. You can access Student Services using the icon on the Minerva toolbar. You can apply for a Registration Status Certificate to confirm your student status for Council Tax purposes. You may be eligible to apply for a 18+ Student Oyster Photocard.

Work placements abroad

While you are abroad, you will be in charge of managing your own money. If you’re like most students, you’ll have a limited amount of funds so it is important to budget to ensure your money lasts throughout your entire time abroad. Be sure you know what money you have coming in and what will be going out, so you can accurately budget. 

The Careers Centre have some useful information on working abroad. Their PDF on overseas budgeting will help you plan your expenses and banking arrangements. The Careers Centre also provide general advice when you're thinking about working abroad.  

There may be visa implications or insurance considerations if you decide to work abroad, so you should check these in plenty of time. 

If you want to speak to someone for more help, the Careers Centre website gives phone and email contacts and their opening times.

Paid student work during your work placement

Many students do paid work while they're on work placement, but don’t depend on this as a source of funding. Get advice from your host company and past students about the availability of student jobs. If you're on work placement abroad, check your visa conditions to see if you're allowed to work. There is information about some countries on the Visas for study abroad page.

Politics and parliamentary studies shadowing

If you are on the Politics and Parliamentary Studies course shadowing a Member of Parliament in London and/or attending university in Washington or Ottowa, you're exceptionally treated as undertaking unpaid research. You're eligible to apply for full means-tested support. You can also claim London weighting for your time at Westminster. When you apply you must quote the Houses of Parliament address: Houses of Parliament, Westminster, London SW1A 0AA.