How to apply for funding
Find out about the process of applying for either Financial Aid or a Private Loan to help with the costs of studying at Leeds.
You'll need to know where to find the relevant application forms and how to fill in the Cost of Attendance calculation spreadsheet.
To be eligible for Federal Aid, you must:
- be a US citizen or permanent resident with a valid social security number
- hold a high-school diploma or equivalent
- not have any previous convictions for drug-related offences
- not be in default on any prior student loan or owe a refund on any grant
- be registered for Selective Services if you are male (or be exempt from registering)
- be accepted onto at least a half-time (part-time) program of study at the University of Leeds and hold a valid student ID number.
- not be undertaking any amount of study or research in the US during part of your program
Federal Student Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be assessed for eligibility. A new FAFSA is required for each year of study. The information you provide on the FAFSA is used to produce a Student Aid Report (SAR). View help completing the FAFSA
You may need the following codes:
- The school code for FAFSA is G06692
- The campus code (if required) is 00
You will need to contact the US Loans Advisor in the Funding Team to tell us you are considering studying at Leeds and are interested in US Federal Loans. We will send you information about the process, a helpful flowchart, and a Cost of Attendance (COA) calculation document.
Cost of Attendance
The total amount of money that a student requires for educational purposes is known as the Cost of Attendance (COA).
Federal law allows your COA to include:
- an allowance for books, supplies and transport;
- an allowance to cover room and board (rent or hall charges);
- an allowance for dependent care if necessary;
- an allowance to assist with any disability;
- coverage of any charges or premiums associated with a Federal Loan.
As part of the loan application process you will have the opportunity to tell us about the costs that you will face as an individual. When calculating your COA, a number of costs are decided by the University in accordance with average costs.
General Living Allowance
Within your COA an amount will be included as a 'general living allowance'.
For 2023/24, these set figures include:
- £191 per week for accommodation;
- £28.20 per week for travel;
- £110 per week for utilities (gas, electric, etc) and food
- £53.50 per week for personal costs eg clothing and leisure;
- £14.50 per week for books and copying;
- £11.50 per week for a mobile phone;
- £2000 per year for flights;
- £363 visa application fee (first year only)
- Healthcare £470 per year plus 6 months – a 1 year programme – £705, 3 year course – £1,645
- £550 first year only for computer equipment and software
- Loan origination fees
Register with the US loan website and complete these tasks:
- complete entrance counselling
- sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- complete your Plus loan MPN (PLUS loan only)
- complete your credit check (PLUS loan only)
Email the US Loans Advisor in the Funding Team with evidence of completion of these tasks (screenshots and PDF of Master Promissory Notes), along with your completed COA spreadsheet.
Cost of Attendance calculation
The COA estimates the cost of a year’s study at Leeds. Each student is evaluated individually.
The COA document is in MS Excel format but can be opened using OpenOffice. Work through the tabs from left to right. You will need to give your:
- full name
- date of birth
- social security number
The total value of loans taken within an academic year must not exceed your estimated COA for that year. Include any additional aid such as bursaries, grants, sponsorships or scholarships on your COA calculation as it may affect your entitlement to student funding.
Contact the US Loans Advisor in the Funding Team if you have any special requirements that you believe may affect your Cost of Attendance.
If you are awarded Federal Student Aid after completion of your COA document, notify the US Loans Advisor in the Funding Team so the COA and your loan can be adjusted accordingly.