Suspensions, temporary leave and external students

There are a number of reasons why you may not be required on campus and have to leave the UK. Find out what you have to do if this affects you.

Students with a Tier 4 or Student visa who are not required to be on campus are expected to leave the UK.

This may be:

  • when your studies are suspended
  • if you are on temporary leave or are repeating a year or part of a year as an external student
  • if you complete your studies early.

The University is required to let UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) know of students absence for these reasons, and they will then take action to cancel your visa. When UK Visas & Immigration take action to cancel your visa they will write to you to advise you of the date it will be cancelled to. The letter will be sent the most recent address UKVI hold for you. After being notified of the end date of your visa, you are then required to leave the UK before this date.

You must ensure that you both your current term-time and permanent home addresses are updated on your student record in Minerva to make sure that you receive your correspondence.

Before returning to the UK you'll need to request a new CAS from the University and apply for a new visa.  No refund will be given for any visa or IHS fees you have previously paid.  You'll only be able to register as a student again when you've provided evidence of your new immigration permission to the University.