Police registration

After you arrive in Leeds, you may need to register with the police, depending on where you've come from and how long you'll be here.

If you have a passport from a Commonwealth or EAA country then you don't usually have to register with the police but you should check for specific instructions printed on your visa, BRP or decision letter; if it says “Register/Report to Police”, “Pol. Registration” or similar, you must register with the police.

If you're from one of the following countries or territories you'll need to register with the police: 

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong (SAR), Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Macau (SAR), Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

You're only usually required to register with the police if you have been given permission to stay in the UK for more than six months. However if your entry visa contains police registration or you have been told to register with police by the Home Office you must do so, regardless of the length of your visa. 

How, where and when should I register with the police?

There are two stages to the Police registration process; completing an online application form and attending an appointment.

You should start the process to register with the police as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK, but please note the information below about arrangements during the coronavirus pandemic.

Stage 1

You need to create an account and complete your online application form within 7 days of arriving in the UK. This completes the first part of the process. 

Stage 2

You should then contact West Yorkshire Police via email at policeregistration@westyorkshire.police.uk to arrange an appointment. 

At busy times, and due to current coronavirus restrictions, it is not always possible to book an appointment within 7 days of arriving in the UK. If you are required to self-isolate on arrival in the UK, you will not be able to attend an appointment during your 14 days self-isolation. However, you must complete stage one within 7 days of arriving in the UK.

Please check the West Yorkshire Police website regularly for updates about when the Overseas Registration Office is open and when appointments are available.

What do I need to take with me? 

You will need to take: 

  •     Your passport 
  •     Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) 
  •     Your University offer letter or CAS (paper version) 
  •     Proof of address (such as an accommodation contract or tenancy agreement paper version) 
  •     The administration fee of £34. Card payment is required and the following cards are accepted: Visa, Visa Debit, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Mastercard Debit, Maestro. Cash is not accepted.

The police registration certificate does not expire but costs £34 to replace if it is lost. 

If your circumstances change

You must report any of the following changes to the police within seven working days or you risk a fine of up to £5,000:

  • Change of address*
  • Change of course, college, university or occupation
  • Change of marital status
  • New entry visa
  • Extension of stay granted in the UK
  • You are issued with a new passport
  • If you have dependent children and they turn 16 whilst they are in the UK, they must register with the police once they have turned 16, even if their current visa states police registration is not required. Please check with the Home Office before contacting the police to confirm whether they are required to register.

After registering your account, you will be given two options before you book your appointment, please choose the 'Create new account' option. 

*After you register with the police, if you change your address before you get your police registration certificate back, contact the Overseas Registration Office by email to provide them with your new address.

Do I need to inform the police when I go home at the end of my stay?

Before you leave, contact the Overseas Registration Office by email to tell them the reference number on your police registration certificate and the date and place of your departure.