Applying for your visa while studying remotely

If your school has agreed to you starting your studies online, and delaying coming to the UK, find out how this may affect your Tier 4 visa application.

If you are having problems getting to Leeds for the start of your programme and want to discuss your arrival date, you'll need to contact your school.

For a full explanation of the visa application process and a screen-by-screen example of the information you need to include in the application visit the Applying for a Tier 4 visa webpage 

My programme starts in September but my school has agreed I can start remotely. How will this affect my student visa application? 

UKVI has confirmed that for visa applications made before 31 December 2020, a 90-day temporary travel visa (TTV) will be issued when a visa application is granted. 

The 90 day period will be valid from 7 days before the ‘intended travel date’ you put on your student visa application form. 

For example: 

  • Course Start Date: 28 September 2020 
  • On the Tier 4 visa application form, ‘intended travel date’ = 14 December 2020 

Your 90-day, Temporary Travel Vignette (TTV) would have the following validity period: 

  • 'Valid from' date: 7 December 2020  (7 days before your intended travel date) 
  • 'Valid to' date: 7 March 2021 

If you require an ATAS or TB Test Certification for your visa application, these are valid for 6 months. 

If I delay my application will I have to pay an increased Immigration Health Surcharge? 

The Immigration Health Surcharge will increase from £300 to £470 per year of your visa from 27 October 2020, and there will be a new visa application form from 5 October 2020. 

You will be charged £300 per year of your visa if you make your visa application before 27 October, even if your visa appointment or intended travel date falls after 27 October 2020. If you make your visa application after 27 October 2020, you will be charged £470. 

I have already applied for the Tier 4 visa and my 90-day travel permit will expire before I can travel to the UK. What should I do? 

You will need to make an application to the Home Office for a new temporary travel visa before you travel to the UK. You will have to pay a fee for this new application and provide your biometric information again by attending an appointment. 

You do not need a new CAS. 

Information on applying for a replacement visa is available on the Home Office website

You should use the same online application form that you used to apply for your Tier 4 visa but you should select the following options: 

  • Reason for Visit: Other 
  • Visa Type: Others 
  • Visa Sub Type: Vignette Transfer 

At the end of the application form you should use the 'Any other information' field to explain that you have been granted a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK but you need a new travel vignette and give the relevant reason.