Work placements, study abroad and extending your Tier 4/Student visa

If you have a confirmed offer for a work placement as an assessed part of your current course, or if you will be undertaking a study abroad year, it is likely that you will need to apply for further time on your visa as a result.

You can make your new visa application in the UK or in your home country to extend your visa to undertake your work placement or study abroad year.

You should make your visa application within 3 months of the start date of the Work Placement/Study Abroad Year, or after completing the placement/study abroad year and within 3 months of the course start date of the next academic year.

To make your application, you will require a new CAS. For further information and guidance on the procedure for requesting a new CAS refer to the extending your visa in the UK page. Guidance regarding applying for your new visa is also listed on this web page.

If you choose to make your application outside the UK, please refer to this guidance.  

Please complete and return this CAS request form and email it to the address at the top of the form to request your new CAS.  

Please be aware that payment of a mandatory Immigration Health Surcharge must now also be made when you apply for your new visa online, at a cost of £470 for each year of the visa you will be issued.

If you have any questions or concerns about making your visa application then please contact the Student Visa Advice team: