Accessible facilities on campus

The University has many accessible facilities available across campus for disabled students including adapted accommodation, medical support, and The Edge.

Please note, because of the ongoing situation surrounding Coronavirus (COVID-19) only essential services and activities are being delivered on campus. Please see our campus services updates webpage for regularly updated information.

We understand that, although we strive to be as accessible as possible - you may come across some barriers on campus. If you would like to raise any issues with barriers on campus, please contact Len Wilson - Deputy Director (Development)

Find out where these accessible facilities are located and how to access specific assistance such as car parking spaces, assistive technology and more.

Accessible Campus Route - North-South Access Route and Key Fob

The North-South campus access route is designed to provide a step-free route for disabled students, staff and others who have access requirements across campus. The route begins at the main entrance of the University and ends at the Worsley building. It's marked by internal and external signage and involves the use of lifts at some points. It's open to all students and staff during the day during the University's main opening times. However, you will need a key fob if you need to access the north-south access route out-of-hours and at weekends. In the future, the key fob may also be used to allow level access to other areas of the University outside of standard hours. To apply for a fob you need to complete an application form. Please return this to the security team (details are on the form) who will process this request for you.

Download the campus map to access directions of step-free routes and the North-South access route. 


We work in partnership with AccessAble, a national organisation who creates a detailed access guide to our spaces and buildings.  The aim of the guide is to give the disabled user useful, accurate and detailed information about the access and facilities available. 

Accessible Toilets

Buildings with accessible toilets are shown on the University Campus Map. Disability Services, based in the Chemistry West building, also has a toilet which meets the equivalent standards of a Changing Places Toilet.  Facilities include a changing bed, shower, and a track ceiling hoist (you will need to provide your own sling). 

If you have specific needs relating to toilet facilities which are not already met, in the first instance please contact the Disability Coordinator Team who will look into your request.  You can contact them by telephoning 0113 3433927 or by emailing

Access News

We have a continuous commitment to equality and inclusion across the University. As part of this we are constantly making improvements to our spaces and buildings to ensure everyone has an equal opportunity to access and experience our campus.  

You can read more about the improvements that are taking place in Access News, our termly newsletter


There are a number of adapted University residences available if you choose to stay in a hall of residence. 

Find out about adapted accommodation on the Accommodation website 

There are also larger rooms for students who need extra space for equipment, as well as rooms for personal assistants or support workers.

There is a high demand for this accommodation and limited availability especially in halls on campus, so the University also adapts accommodation where needed.

When you apply for accommodation, you should answer "Yes" to the question: "Do you require accommodation which is adapted or do you require a specific type of accommodation because of a disability/medical condition?"  You should also complete an Additional Requirements form.

Once you've applied for accommodation, and stated that you have specific requirements, such as lowered worktops in the kitchen or self-closing doors, you'll be invited to come to the University for a visit to look round potential accommodation and to discuss your requirements in detail.

Depending on the level of support required, Accommodation Services may advise that you bring with you an Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist, or anyone who has been involved in recommending specialist equipment or adaptations for you already.  If you're unable to bring someone with you or if you're unable to visit us, please let Accommodation Services know.

Accommodation Services will do all it can to adapt accommodation to suit your needs, but if you decide not to visit in advance or engage in fuller discussion with Accommodation Services, they can't guarantee that your requirements will be met by the time you begin your course. Each residence has one or more wardens and it's their job to help you with any problems. They hold advisory sessions each week during term time. Many residences also have resident sub-wardens - usually postgraduate or mature students. If, after you have moved into your accommodation, you find that a disability-related issue arises, please contact your warden, sub-warden or Accommodation Services to discuss this further. 

Please note; when you provide your access information to Disability Services, this is only used for the purpose of setting up any relevant academic support or reasonable adjustments to academic study. If you are planning to live in University owned accommodation and your disability is likely to have an impact on which accommodation will be suitable for you, you will need to contact the Accommodation Office to discuss this. You can contact them directly by emailing, by telephoning 0113 343 7777 or by going to one of the counters at the Student Services Centre. 

Car parking

The University has designated parking spaces on campus for disabled people. To use these spaces you'll need to apply for a disabled parking permit for the University. If you have a "blue badge", you'll need to show this and your student ID to the car parking administrator for processing.

Non-blue badge holders who still require disabled parking, including those with a long-term or temporary mobility issue or other impairment, can apply for a University disabled parking permit through the Car Parking Team.

Please note, that due to ongoing building work, the disabled parking spaces outside the Disability Services building (Chemistry West) are currently unavailable. The nearest designated parking for disabled people is on nearby University Road. Please visit our campus map for more details. 

Deaf Alerter System

Deaf Alerter is a radio-based fire alarm warning and public address messaging system for Deaf and hard of hearing people. It solves the problem that they cannot hear audible alarm or public address systems. Students and visitors may have their own pager, or can borrow a pager by  telephoning 0113 3433927 or emailing

Hearing Technology for Hard of Hearing/Deaf Students

The majority of Central Teaching Space Rooms are fitted with Hard of Hearing systems using either Infrared Transmitters or induction loop systems.  More information including how to access this technology


The IT department supports all the IT services at the University, including the computer clusters. The list of clustersgives information about accessibility. The assistive technology suite includes:

  • trackballs
  • ergonomic keyboards
  • height adjustable tables
  • assistive software.

A list of free to use and download software applications or online tools can be found here.

Leeds University Union

Leeds University Union has set up a Disabled Students' Assembly and there is also a Disabled Students' Society


The University library aims to make all resources and services accessible to everyone, and takes a proactive approach, trying to anticipate the needs of disabled people to develop an inclusive learning environment. The library website includes information for disabled users

Extended library loans and use of library accessible study rooms

If you are a disabled student and have registered with Disability Services you are entitled to borrow high demand one day loans from the Laidlaw Library for two days.

Accessible Study Rooms

There are several designated Accessible Student Study rooms with assistive technology provision and adjustable furniture which you may book:

  • Laidlaw Library rooms 1 (on the 2nd floor) and 2 (on the 3rd floor).
    These rooms are booked online.
  • Edward Boyle Library rooms 1, 2 and 3 (on Level 9),  and a room on Level 10
    These rooms are booked online.
  • Brotherton Library room B16 (on floor Main 1).
    There is an ergonomic keyboard and mouse with a computer connected to a scanner in this room.
    You can book this room in advance at the Brotherton Library enquiry desk or by calling 0113 34 35514. You will also need to collect the key from the enquiry desk during core hours. To book and obtain the key in self-service hours please ask at the reception desk or call 0113 34 3 5514


Skills@Library offers expertise, support and resources to help students develop the academic skills required to be successful at the University. 

Spending Facilities

There are four spending facilities on campus (dog toilets) for assistance dogs to use. These are based:

  • Chemistry West Block
  • 18 Beech Grove Terrace
  • Clarendon Place
  • 5-9 Willow Terrace Road

For more information and a detailed map to download, follow this link:

Sports centre

The Edge, the University’s sports centre, prides itself on its accessibility. In May 2010, The Edge was awarded the Provisional Level of the Inclusive Fitness Initiative (IFI) Mark Accreditation. The IFI Mark Accreditation is the nationally-recognised standard of inclusion within the fitness industry, awarded to fitness facilities that are inclusive of both disabled and non-disabled people alike. Facilities include a pool hoist and a moveable swimming pool floor to assist wheelchair users into the pool, and gym equipment designed to be used by wheelchair users. There are fully accessible toilets and showers available.