Welcome to your global community of students and staff. This international orientation will help you get started, feel at home in Leeds and make the most of your international experience.
This information was last updated on 22 October 2021.
Online welcome resources – available now
We’re really excited to welcome you to our community and help you settle into University life. If you’re preparing to arrive, you’ll find important travel and arrival information on our Preparing for Leeds webpages and in our pre-departure briefings. Make sure you also check what to bring.
- Your online welcome guide includes a special section for international students and researchers
- Find out more about your School welcome materials, our Leeds & You guide and the Here & Now hub by visiting our webpage for all new students
- We also have welcome and induction information for Postgraduate Researchers.
- Explore Leeds University Union’s welcome website, including their fantastic guide for international students.
International Orientation sessions
Join the International Student Office team for an interactive online session to welcome you to your global community at Leeds and help you settle in. You’ll also hear from Nicole Jiminez, your International and Postgraduate Officer on Leeds University Union’s Student Exec. The session is designed for new international students and researchers who have recently arrived in Leeds, but you are welcome to attend at any point in your student journey.
When will the sessions take place?
- Wednesday 27 October, 12.30 - 14.00
- Check back here for future sessions after 27 October
Sign up to join a session here – we will send you a link to join the session on Microsoft TEAMs one day before the event and then a reminder email one hour before the session.
What to do if you have questions or want to chat to student hosts
International Welcome helpdesk
If you have any questions about arriving in Leeds or need immediate help when you first arrive:
- Email email@example.com (9am – 5pm , every day)
- Call +44 (0)113 343 9599 (9am – 5pm , every day)
- Visit International Welcome helpdesk, East Entrance, Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building (9am – 5pm, every day)
Student Information Service
For any other questions about getting started or student life, contact the Student Information Service.
International Welcome Lounge
Drop by to meet our friendly student hosts, enjoy some free refreshments and find out about welcome and social activities.
- Monday – Friday from 4.30pm - 6.30pm, 6 September – 31 October
- Café Maia on Level 10 of the Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building.
Our friendly team of Link to Leeds ambassadors can also tell you more about student life, help answer any questions you have, and help you meet other new students. Send the ambassadors a chat message from 10am - 10pm every day.
Five ways to start meeting new people (whether you are online or in Leeds)
Being part of the Global Community at Leeds gives an amazing and perhaps unique opportunity to try new things and get to know people from many different backgrounds, bringing you a world of ideas and experiences. There’s also lots to explore and join in with online if you are self-isolating when you arrive.
- Come to Global Café in person every Monday or our online Global Community socials to enjoy conversations, meet friends from around the world and take part in fun activities.
- Join our Global Community Microsoft TEAMs space to connect with other students and take part in activities. Join now using your @leeds.ac.uk email or use the join code loq5x6z by selecting ‘join or create a TEAM’ at the bottom of your teams list
- Find a Welcome Buddy for friendship and support to help you feel part of our community
- Find out about events on Leeds University Union’s welcome website or check what’s on through your Here & Now hub
- Not sure where to start? Visit the International Welcome Lounge or Global Cafe for recommendations from our student hosts or send a live-chat message to our Link to Leeds Ambassadors. LUU have also written a fantastic guide to making friends.
Key things you'll need to do when you arrive in Leeds:
We know there’s lots to organise when you first arrive and it can feel a bit overwhelming. Take some time to read about the processes you’ll need to complete. You can start and complete many of them online. Taught students (Undergraduate or Masters) can find useful checklists in your Leeds & You guide on PebblePad.
For those processes that require you to attend in person, it is understood by the University and external organisations, that anyone self-isolating will complete face-to-face processes when they have finished self-isolation.
Collect your Biometric Residence Permit if you have the relevant visa
Register with the police if this is a requirement of your visa
Open a UK bank account
Register with a doctor and understand how to access healthcare provision in the UK
If you haven't yet arranged permanent accommodation, contact the Accommodation team (for University-owned accommodation) or Unipol (for private-sector housing), or for help with any housing issues contact Leeds University Union’s Help and Support team
You may also be looking for information about:
Where to buy food and equipment - as well as information about shops in Leeds and where to buy international food, this page includes useful information about online deliveries and getting a UK phone number, which may be useful if you are self-isolating
We’ve also got advice on these important areas:
Don’t forget you can contact the Student Information Service if you have any questions about getting started. You’ll also receive important updates via your University email so make sure you check this regularly.
We hope you enjoy settling in to university life in Leeds and look forward to seeing you at our orientation sessions and welcome events.