Helpful support contacts

We want you to feel well-supported and confident to seek support from specialist University and external services, whenever you need it.  

Find out more about the services here to support you with everything from an emergency, or a problem or difficult time in your life, to developing your academic skills and looking after your wellbeing. 


In a health emergency or if you feel in distress: 

  • Contact your General Practitioner (local doctor), if you have alrady registered at a medical practice.  
  • Contact the Leeds Student Medical Practice on +44 113 295 4488. The practice provides medical care for students in Leeds and their immediate families.
  • Go to the Accident & Emergency department of your local hospital 
  • Contact the University Security Service Emergency number +44 (0) 113 343 2222, if the the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation. The University Security Services are a 24-hour service.   

Contact 999 in case of an emergency to reach the Ambulance, Police and Fire Services. 

If you are not in an emergency situation, check the information below about non-emergency services: 

Support Services

Student Information Service

New and returning students can phone, email, or visit the Student Information Service to ask for help with questions about getting started and to find out Faculty and School information. 

International student office

The International Student Office provides specialist immigration advice along with welcome and orientation support specific to the needs of international students. Find out more about how to contact a member of the team on

Support in your School

If your question or problem is related to your academic work or has an impact on your studies, contact your school. Your student support team and your academic personal tutor can support you.

Leeds University Union help and support

Leeds University Union’s Help and Support team offers a professional, friendly service that can help with any problems relating to life as a student. The service is independent of the University. LUU Help and Support offers free, confidential and impartial advice on topics such as: 

  • money matters 
  • academic life 
  • health and wellbeing 
  • housing 
  • employment 
  • crime and law 
  • consumer issues. 

Meet with an adviser in person in the Leeds University Union Building 
Telephone: +44 113 3801 400

Student counselling and wellbeing

The Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service offers a range of support to students experiencing emotional, psychological and mental health difficulties, including:  

Student Counselling and Wellbeing team:


Study and research support

Need help with with your assignments, referencing or understanding the University academic culture? The University Library offers support to all students and researchers through their Skills@Library and Researcher@Library programmes. Check out resources available on the University Library website and don’t forget to join workshops available in person or online. Join the Library’s mailing list to receive updates on the next workshops available.

IT support

Check resources available via the IT website. Can’t find the answer to your problem? Log into the IT Self-Service platform, submit a request and receive personalised advice from a member of the IT team.

Faith-based support

Universities chaplaincy in Leeds

The Universities Chaplaincy team offers pastoral care and spiritual support to students of all faiths and to those who have no religious beliefs. They offer support: 

  • when you need someone independent and confidential to talk to
  • if you’re finding life difficult or you have a tricky decision to make
  • if you have lost someone close to you
  • if you want to explore spirituality

The Universities Chaplaincy website has more information about support and activities, and an out-of-hours phone number which you can call if you are in distress.  


Muslim Student Adviser  

Farhat Yaqoob, the University’s Muslim Student Adviser offers pastoral and spiritual support and connects people from all backgrounds through Unity communications and activities. She can support you if you have a question or problem, or if you are going through a difficult time in your life. 


Jewish Chaplaincy

You can find out more on the national University Jewish Chaplaincy website.

Leeds University Union Student Faith Societies 

Our student faith societies provide friendship, support and activities for students who have faith as an important part of their life, or who are interested in spirituality.  



Nightline is a term-time confidential and anonymous, non-advisory listening and information service run for students by trained student volunteers from higher education institutions in Leeds. Nightline can give you information about student life and services in the University and around Leeds. It also offers a listening support service if you’re worried, confused, distressed, in trouble or if you just need to talk.  They currently offer e-listening online with an Instant Messaging service.

Opening hours: every night during term-time, 8pm to 2am. 

Disability Services

The Disability team offers disabled students a range of specialist support and assistance including:

  • support from a named disability coordinator
  • liaison with academic departments
  • sign language interpreting
  • making alternative examination arrangements
  • arranging extended library loans
  • loaning equipment
  • advising on sources of funding 
  • helping with the completion of funding and other disability-related forms

Office open: 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
Entrances: main entrance to Chemistry West Building
Disabled access: main entrance is wheelchair-accessible

Contact us

Disability Coordinator Team
Ground Floor
Chemistry West

Telephone: +44 113 343 3927
Textphone (Minicom): +44 113 343 2616
Twitter: @UoLDisability

Leeds Assessment Centre

Leeds Assessment Centre, part of the National Network of Assessment Centres, provides needs assessments to support Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) applications made by students in higher education (HE) including university and some college students.

Office open: 9am to 5pm,Monday to Friday
Appointments: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Entrances: main entrance to Chemistry West Building
Disabled access: main entrance is wheelchair-accessible

Contact us

Leeds Assessment Centre
University of Leeds
Chemistry West Building
Telephone: +44113 343 3927 or +44 113 343 7252 or +44 113 343 7537
Website: Leeds assessment centre

Leeds Assessment Centre - Campus map

University accommodation

If you live in University Accommodation, there is lots of support available if you have any questions or problems and to help you enjoy living in your residence community. You can find contact details for your Residence Warden and other teams who can help, on the Accommodation website.

Domestic Abuse

If you are in immediate danger, please call 999

  • University of Leeds Security Service

+44 113 343 2222 (emergencies only)
+44 113 343 5494/5 (non-emergencies)

  • Leeds Domestic Violence Service

24-hour helpline: +44 113 246 0401

  • National Centre for Domestic Violence

24-hour helpline:  0800 970 2070, then select Option 1 or +44 207 186 8270, then select Option 1
If you have a UK number, text “NCDV” to 60777 to request a call 

Find out more about Domestic Violence at the University and support available to you in a non-emergency situation.

Leeds Student Medical Practice

Leeds Student Medical Practice provides medical care for students in Leeds and their immediate families.