Helpful support contacts
We want you to feel well-supported and confident to seek support from specialist University and external services, whenever you need it.
Find out more about services here to support you with everything from an emergency, a problem or difficult time in your life, or how to develop your academic skills and look after your wellbeing.
Contact 999 in case of an emergency to reach the Ambulance, Police and Fire Services.
In a health emergency or if you feel in distress:
- Contact your General Practitioner (local doctor), if you have already registered at a medical practice.
- Phone the Leeds Student Medical Practice on +44(0)113 2954488. The practice provides medical care for students in Leeds and their immediate families.
- Go to the Accident & Emergency department of your local hospital
- Phone the University Security Service Emergency number +44(0)113 3432222, if the the emergency is on campus or in University accommodation. The University Security Services are a 24-hour service.
If you are not in an emergency situation, see the following websites for non-emergency services.
Student Information Service
New and returning students can phone, email, or visit the Student Information Service to ask for help with questions about getting started and to find out Faculty and School information. See the Asking for Help webpage for more information and contact details.
Support in your School
Harassment and Misconduct Team
The Harassment and Misconduct Team are the University’s specialist, experienced advisors who can support you if you have experienced or witnessed an incident of concern. They can talk you through your options around reporting as well as considering support available to you, both practically and emotionally.
Leeds University Union help and support
The Leeds University Union (LUU) Help and Support team offers a professional, friendly service that can help with any problems relating to life as a student. The service is independent of the University. LUU Help and Support offers free, confidential and impartial advice on topics such as:
- money matters
- academic life
- health and wellbeing
- crime and law
- consumer issues
Meet with an adviser in person in the Leeds University Union Building
- Phone the LUU Help and Support team:: +44(0)113 3801400
- Email the LUU Help and Support team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the LUU Help and Support website
The Disability team offers disabled students a range of specialist support and assistance including:
- support from a named disability coordinator
- liaison with academic departments
- sign language interpreting
- making alternative examination arrangements
- arranging extended library loans
- loaning equipment
- advising on sources of funding
- helping with the completion of funding and other disability-related forms
- Office open: 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
- Entrances: main entrance to Chemistry West Building (Google Street view link)
- Disabled access: main entrance is wheelchair accessible
- Phone Disability Services: +44(0)113 3433927
- Textphone (Minicom): +44(0)113 3432616
- Email disability Services: email@example.com
- Disability Services address: Disability Coordinator Team, Ground Floor, Chemistry West, Leeds, LS2 9JT
- Disability Services’ Facebook page
- Disability Services on Twitter: @UoLDisability
Leeds Assessment Centre
Leeds Assessment Centre, part of the National Network of Assessment Centres, provides needs assessments to support Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) applications made by students in higher education (HE) including university and some college students.
- Office open: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
- Appointments: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
- Entrances: main entrance to Chemistry West Building
- Disabled access: main entrance is wheelchair-accessible
- Leeds Assessment Centre address: University of Leeds, Chemistry West Building, Leeds, LS2 9JT
- Phone Leeds Assessment Centre on: +44(0)113 3433927 or +44(0)113 3437252 or +44(0)113 3437537
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leeds Assessment Centre website
If you live in University Accommodation, there is lots of support available if you have any questions or problems and to help you enjoy living in your residence community. You can find contact details for your Residence Warden and other teams who can help, on the Accommodation website.
Student counselling and wellbeing
The Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service offers a range of support to students experiencing emotional, psychological and mental health difficulties, including:
- Booking to receive an appointment on the same day – Book a same day appointment with Student Counselling and Wellbeing.
- Wellbeing and counselling support.
- Mental health advice & support.
- Joining wellbeing groups and workshops.
- Using self-help resources – includes free online support with togetherall (formerly Big White Wall), meditation and relaxation downloads, and links to a wide range of external services and wellbeing resources which offer support related to experiences and life events which may impact on your emotional, psychological and physical wellbeing.
Student Counselling and Wellbeing team:
- Email the Student Counselling and Wellbeing team: email@example.com
- Visit the Counselling and Wellbeing website
Study and research support
Need help with with your assignments, referencing or understanding the University academic culture? The University Library offers support to all students and researchers through their Skills@Library and Researcher@Library programmes. Check out resources available on the University Library website and don’t forget to join workshops available in person or online.
Check resources available via the IT website. Can’t find the answer to your problem? Log into the IT Self-Service platform, submit a request and receive personalised advice from a member of the IT team.
Universities chaplaincy in Leeds
The Universities Chaplaincy team offers pastoral care and spiritual support to students of all faiths and to those who have no religious beliefs. They offer support:
- when you need someone independent and confidential to talk to
- if you’re finding life difficult or you have a tricky decision to make
- if you have lost someone close to you
- if you want to explore spirituality
The Universities Chaplaincy website has more information about support and activities, and an out-of-hours phone number which you can call if you are in distress. Email the Chaplaincy team: Chaplaincy@leeds.ac.uk.
Muslim Student Adviser
Farhat Yaqoob, the University’s Muslim Student Adviser offers pastoral and spiritual support and connects people from all backgrounds through Unity communications and activities. She can support you if you have a question or problem, or if you are going through a difficult time in your life.
Email Farhat Yaqoob: F.Yaqoob@leeds.ac.uk
You can find out more on the national University Jewish Chaplaincy website.
Leeds University Union (LUU) Student Faith Societies
Our student faith societies provide friendship, support and activities for students who have faith as an important part of their life, or who are interested in spirituality. Find out more on the LUU clubs and societies website.
Nightline is a term-time confidential and anonymous, non-advisory listening and information service run for students by trained student volunteers from higher education institutions in Leeds. Nightline can give you information about student life and services in the University and around Leeds. It also offers a listening support service if you’re worried, confused, distressed, in trouble or if you just need to talk. They currently offer e-listening online with an Instant Messaging service.
- Opening hours: every night during term-time, 8pm to 2am.
- Email Nightline: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the Nightline website
Lifelong Learning Centre
If you’re a student part of the Lifelong learning centre, email the team at email@example.com. The team support to current mature, part-time and Foundation level students, and apprentices.
If you are in immediate danger, please call 999
University of Leeds Security Service
- Phone University of Leeds Security Service emergencies line: +44(0)113 3432222
- Phone University of Leeds Security Service non-emergencies line:+44(0)113 3435494 or +44(0)113 3435495
- Email University of Leeds Security Service: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leeds Domestic Violence Service
- Phone the Leeds Domestic Violence Service 24-hour helpline: +44(0)113 2460401
- Email the Leeds Domestice Violence Service: email@example.com
- Visit the Leeds Domestic Violence Service website
National Centre for Domestic Violence
- Phone the National Centre for Domestic Violence 24-hour helpline: +44(0)800 9702070, then select Option 1 or +44(0)207 1868270, then select Option 1.
- If you have a UK number, text “NCDV” to 60777 to request a call.
- Email the National Centre for Domestic Violence: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the National Centre for Domestic Violence website
Find out more about domestic violence and support available to you in a non-emergency situation.
Leeds Student Medical Practice
Leeds Student Medical Practice provides medical care for students in Leeds and their immediate families.