Register for an appointment on campus

In order to access the service for individual sessions, you'll need to fill in an application form to make an appointment with Student Counselling and Wellbeing. We recognise that it can be difficult to write about what is troubling you, and appreciate you providing as much detail as you are able.

2019-20 Self Referral Form

Your answers help us to understand your situation and direct you to the most appropriate member of our team. Several of the questions are designed to start the process of developing insight and understanding, including what may help to feel and cope better. Your counsellor, mental health advisor or wellbeing practitioner will be provided with a copy of your completed online self-referral form before your first meeting. 

How long do I have to wait? 

When we receive your form, we will contact you within 2 working days about making an appointment. We aim to offer all first appointments within ten working days of receipt of your form.  Please be aware that there may be a slightly longer wait at peak times of the year, however we understand it can be difficult to wait, and will do our best to see you as soon as possible. 

We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests into the service.  For some of our appointments, particularly counselling, there may be a 4-6 week wait.  Please be assured that we read students' self-referral forms daily and will respond accordingly. 


Your first appointment will last between 30 and 45 minutes, and give you a chance to explore in more detail your current situation, what is causing you difficulty, and how to move forward. It will be a collaborative activity and designed to empower you to identify and then bring about the kind of changes that you seek.


At the end of the appointment, the practitioner will help you identify actions that you can take – this may be suggesting tasks you could do, directing you to useful resources or, where appropriate, referring you to another professional, service or agency. You may be offered a follow-up appointment to see how you have progressed. For many people this brief intervention is all that is needed to help get them back on the right track.

For other people, further appointments are appropriate. If you are referred for counselling, you may be offered up to four more sessions. This may be with the practitioner you saw for your first appointment, or it may be with a different person. You will then see that same person for all your sessions. It is likely that there will be a short wait for this; possibly up to 3 or 4 weeks at busy times of the year. We work as members of a team and if it emerges that a different support is more appropriate to your needs this will be discussed with you and you will be referred to an alternative practitioner.


There is a heavy demand for all of the services within Student Counselling and Wellbeing, so if you are unable to attend a session please cancel your appointment giving as much notice as possible. You can do this by email, telephone or via another trusted person. We will do our best to offer you an alternative appointment if the cancellation is due to illness or other exceptional circumstances.

If you wish to cancel, please use the contact details below.

Appointments with Mental Health Advisors and Wellbeing Practitioners, Chemistry West – 0113 343 3927/email

Appointments with Counsellors 19-21 Clarendon Place – 0113 343 4107/email


No. For all University of Leeds students, Student Counselling and Wellbeing is a free service.

While you are waiting 

There are a number of things you can read or use to prepare yourself while you are waiting for your first appointment:

Online or self-help resources

Our website has a wide range of useful information and links. You could try one of our MP3 downloads for help with relaxation or have a look at our comprehensive range of self-help guides. 

You might like to try some external resources:

Or you can look at a longer list of A-Z of online resources to help you find information and advice on issues you may be facing.

Talk to your school or faculty

Is your problem about work or affecting your work? Your personal tutor or Education Service Officer may be able to help and should know if things are going on for you which are getting in the way of your work. See our list of faculties to find contact information.

Contact your GP

It might be worth getting yourself checked out, especially if you are feeling really depressed or physically run down. The Leeds Student Medical Practice also has a really useful website.

Emergency or crisis

If you need help in a crisis situation, see our contacts page for more information.