Healthcare services and entitlements

Whether you’re a UK or international student, you’ll need to make sure you have health care in place. Find out about healthcare at Leeds and what you are entitled to. 

Registering at a doctor’s surgery (also known as a GP) 

Register with the Leeds Student Medical Practice located near the university campus

Leeds Student Medical Practice is currently doing registration for new patients online. The registration process takes around two days but can take longer in September. 

You can also find a list of other local doctors on the NHS Choices website. 


If you are entitled to NHS treatment find a local dentist who is currently taking on new patients. The NHS has fixed charges for dental treatment unless you qualify for a dental charge exemption. If you are an international student, you will need to register with a doctor to obtain an NHS number, which is needed before you can register with the dentist  

For private care, contact the dentist surgery directly. You are likely to get seen faster than with an NHS practice, but it may be very expensive. Check what is covered in your medical insurance if you have it.  

In the case of a dental emergency, you can ring 111 for advice.  

Emergency healthcare

Only visit a hospital if you need emergency care or if your doctor refers you for specialist treatment. An emergency is a life-threatening condition, such as loss of consciousness, severe chest pain, breathing difficulties or severe bleeding. Find details on who to contact in an emergency.

Healthcare entitlements for students 

EU/EEA/Swiss students 

All students 

  • In England, you’re entitled to receive NHS (National Health Service) Primary care medical services at a GP (general practitioner) surgery without charge. GPs are usually the first point of contact for all patients. 
  • You should register with a local GP surgery as soon as possible.  
  • You're entitled to free emergency care but if you're hospitalised and require further treatment, you may be charged. Please see below for further information. 
  • No specific vaccinations are required to enter the UK. However, some nationals of certain countries require screening for tuberculosis. You may wish to bring vaccination records with you to show to a doctor if you need to.   
  • Medication prescribed by your doctor is subsidised by the NHS, but there is a standard charge of £9 per item that you must pay when you collect your medication from the pharmacy. 
  • Services from dentists aren't free (except for children under the age of 18, or aged 18 and in full-time education, or women eligible for NHS treatment who are pregnant or have had a baby in the 12 months before the treatment starts). 
  • Eye treatment is not free. You may be entitled to a subsidised eye test but there will still be a charge for glasses or contact lenses. Children under 16, or under 19 and in full-time education are eligible for an NHS voucher entitling them to free eye tests and glasses. 

International students with visas for less than six months 

  • You'll only get a limited number of services free. 
  • Initial emergency healthcare services provided by a hospital accident and emergency department will be free, but you’ll be charged for any further treatment or services. 
  • You should buy health insurance in advance of your travel to cover you for using medical services while you're in the UK. 
  • If your home country has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, some costs may be covered or you may be able to reclaim some healthcare costs. If you're from an EEA country, you'll need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card before leaving your home country. Please check the UKCISA website section for a full list of entitlements to NHS treatment. 

International students with visas for more than six months 

  • You (and your dependants) are entitled to free medical treatment from the NHS. You and your dependants are required to pay an immigration health surcharge. The fee is a mandatory fee of £470 per person, per year of your visa. This fee will entitle you and your dependants to free health services under the NHS. Further information is available on the website
  • This does not include dental care or non-necessary treatment. 
  • You may need to buy health insurance to cover any treatment which is not covered by the NHS, or for private, non-emergency medical treatment. 

You can find more information about healthcare charges and services on the website.  

For more information about entitlements for children, pregnant women or health benefits that may subsidise the cost of NHS prescriptions, dental charges, and optical costs, visit the NHS website