Helpful support contacts

We want you to feel well-supported and confident to seek support from specialist University and external services, whenever you need it.  

Find out more about services here to support you with everything from an emergency, a problem or difficult time in your life, or how to develop your academic skills and look after your wellbeing. 


Contact 999 in case of an emergency to reach the Ambulance, Police and Fire Services. 

In a health emergency or if you feel in distress: 

If you are not in an emergency situation, see the following websites for non-emergency services. 

Support Services

Student Information Service

New and returning students can phone, email, or visit the Student Information Service to ask for help with questions about getting started and to find out Faculty and School information. See the Asking for Help webpage for more information and contact details.

Support in your School

If your question or problem is related to your academic work or has an impact on your studies, contact your school. Your student support team and your academic personal tutor can support you.

Harassment and Misconduct Team

The Harassment and Misconduct Team are the University’s specialist, experienced advisors who can support you if you have experienced or witnessed an incident of concern. They can talk you through your options around reporting as well as considering support available to you, both practically and emotionally.

Leeds University Union help and support

The Leeds University Union (LUU) Help and Support team offers a professional, friendly service that can help with any problems relating to life as a student. The service is independent of the University. LUU Help and Support offers free, confidential and impartial advice on topics such as: 

  • money matters 
  • academic life 
  • health and wellbeing 
  • housing 
  • employment 
  • crime and law 
  • consumer issues

Meet with an adviser in person in the Leeds University Union Building 

Disability Services

The Disability team offers disabled students a range of specialist support and assistance including:

  • support from a named disability coordinator
  • liaison with academic departments
  • sign language interpreting
  • making alternative examination arrangements
  • arranging extended library loans
  • loaning equipment
  • advising on sources of funding 
  • helping with the completion of funding and other disability-related forms

More information

Leeds Assessment Centre

Leeds Assessment Centre, part of the National Network of Assessment Centres, provides needs assessments to support Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) applications made by students in higher education (HE) including university and some college students.

  • Office open: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • Appointments: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • Entrances: main entrance to Chemistry West Building
  • Disabled access: main entrance is wheelchair-accessible

More information

University accommodation

If you live in University Accommodation, there is lots of support available if you have any questions or problems and to help you enjoy living in your residence community. You can find contact details for your Residence Warden and other teams who can help, on the Accommodation website.

Student counselling and wellbeing

The Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service offers a range of support to students experiencing emotional, psychological and mental health difficulties, including:  

Student Counselling and Wellbeing team:

Study and research support

Need help with with your assignments, referencing or understanding the University academic culture? The University Library offers support to all students and researchers through their Skills@Library and Researcher@Library programmes. Check out resources available on the University Library website and don’t forget to join workshops available in person or online.

IT support

Check resources available via the IT website. Can’t find the answer to your problem? Log into the IT Self-Service platform, submit a request and receive personalised advice from a member of the IT team.

Faith-based support

Universities chaplaincy in Leeds

The Universities Chaplaincy team offers pastoral care and spiritual support to students of all faiths and to those who have no religious beliefs. They offer support: 

  • when you need someone independent and confidential to talk to
  • if you’re finding life difficult or you have a tricky decision to make
  • if you have lost someone close to you
  • if you want to explore spirituality

The Universities Chaplaincy website has more information about support and activities, and an out-of-hours phone number which you can call if you are in distress.  Email the Chaplaincy team:

Muslim Student Adviser  

Farhat Yaqoob, the University’s Muslim Student Adviser offers pastoral and spiritual support and connects people from all backgrounds through Unity communications and activities. She can support you if you have a question or problem, or if you are going through a difficult time in your life. 

Email Farhat Yaqoob: 

Jewish Chaplaincy

You can find out more on the national University Jewish Chaplaincy website.

Leeds University Union (LUU) Student Faith Societies 

Our student faith societies provide friendship, support and activities for students who have faith as an important part of their life, or who are interested in spirituality. Find out more on the LUU clubs and societies website.


Nightline is a term-time confidential and anonymous, non-advisory listening and information service run for students by trained student volunteers from higher education institutions in Leeds. Nightline can give you information about student life and services in the University and around Leeds. It also offers a listening support service if you’re worried, confused, distressed, in trouble or if you just need to talk. They currently offer e-listening online with an Instant Messaging service.

Lifelong Learning Centre

If you’re a student part of the Lifelong learning centre, email the team at The team support to current mature, part-time and Foundation level students, and apprentices.

Domestic Abuse

If you are in immediate danger, please call 999

University of Leeds Security Service

Leeds Domestic Violence Service

National Centre for Domestic Violence

Find out more about domestic violence and support available to you in a non-emergency situation.

Leeds Student Medical Practice

Leeds Student Medical Practice provides medical care for students in Leeds and their immediate families.