Waste and recycling service

Whether you are living in University accommodation, private halls or in a shared house, waste and recycling services in Leeds are likely to be different from what you are used to. These guidelines will help you manage your waste correctly.

Living in University Accommodation

  • There are three bins provided in all University owned accommodation: dry mixed recycling (card, metal, paper & plastic), glass recycling and general waste.
  • Information is provided on both bin tags and posters in the accommodation.
  • Students can approach on site staff for further information on what they can recycle.
  • Most University accommodation sites have a British Heart Foundation collection bank– pick up donation bags from your hall’s reception desk. They accept clothing, small electricals and household items.
  • For further information on waste and recycling services in University accommodation see the Living it Green Guide.

Living Locally

  • Recycling should be clean and dry before placing in your wheelie bin.
  • Your black bin collection is weekly and green recycling bin collections could be monthly or fortnightly. Check your bin days and frequency here.  
  • Download the Leeds Bins App for reminders of your bin days, advice on what you can recycle or to find your nearest glass bottle bank. (Google, Apple)
  • Wheelie bins must not be left on streets between collections – not only does it look unpleasant, they also cause an obstruction on the pavement. 
  • In some areas of Headingley, you will need to opt in to receive green recycling bags and collections. For more information and to opt in, visit the Leeds City Council website.
  • In your green wheelie bin you can recycle: paper, cardboard, aerosols, metal cans and plastics- types 1, 2 and 4 (these numbers can be found in a triangle on many plastic items). 
  • You cannot recycle in your green bin: glass, food waste, garden waste, black plastic or plastics types 3, 5, 6 and 7 (such as margarine tubs and yoghurt pots), dirty or greasy food containers, Tetra Pac, textiles, electrics or batteries.  
  • Recycling sites located in the community accept additional items for recycling, such as Tetra Pac, textiles, electronics and glass. See the Leeds City Council’s website for details.  
  • If your wheelie bin is damaged or has gone missing you will need to order a replacement. Speak with your landlord as there is a small fee for replacing back bins.  
  • It is your responsibility to manage your waste correctly. The University and Leeds City Council may impose sanctions for students leaving their bins on streets and not disposing of their waste correctly.
  • For more information visit Leeds City Council’s A to Z of reusing, recycling and waste disposal guide.