Overview and eligibility

We calculate your basic eligibility for Leeds Financial Support using information already held on your student record.

To qualify for the full-time Leeds Financial Support (LFS) award you must be registered on a designated full-time, undergraduate, higher-education course lasting at least one year: for example:

  • a degree
  • foundation degree
  • diploma of higher education (DipHE) or
  • certificate of higher education (CertHE)

You don't need to apply for Leeds Financial Support. However you will need to be means tested by the Student Loans Company (SLC). Both you and your sponsors (usually your parents or partner) will also need to give the SLC consent to share your household income with the University. We will send an email to your University of Leeds email account in the autumn term, confirming your eligibility, and once you have received this, you need to log into Minerva and choose how you wish to receive your support.

It is possible to be means-tested by SLC even if you do not wish to take out either a maintenance loan or tuition fees loan. If you do not wish to take out a loan, but still wish to be means-tested in order to be considered for an LFS award, please download a paper student finance application for either a new full-time student (PN1 form) or continuing full-time student (PR1 form) from the government's student finance forms page

Are you eligible? 

You will be able to choose how you receive this support up until 1st November – either as a cash bursary, or as a discount to your tuition fees or University accommodation. In line with statutory funding EU students must take the support as a tuition fee discount.

Whether you choose cash, accommodation or tuition, you need to be registered on the relevant entitlement date in order to qualify for the correponding portion of your Leeds Financial Support. The entitlement date to receive each portion (first portion 25%, second portion 50%, third portion 25%) matches the scheduled cash payment dates.

To qualify you must: 

  • be either a UK undergraduate student, normally living in England, Northern Ireland or Scotland for the three years immediately before the start of the course and “settled” in the UK on the first day of the course; or a non-UK EU student; UK undergraduate students normally living in Wales for the three years immediately before the start of the course and “settled” in the UK on the first day of the course may also be eligible if they entered higher education in 2018-19 or later, and therefore do not qualify for the Welsh Assembly Grant.  
  • be a new student, starting a first degree course on or after 1 September 2012  
  • be liable for the higher rate fee, or pro-rata equivalent for part-time students (ie £9,250 for a 2017 entry student entering level one of their degree)
  • have not already achieved an equivalent or higher-level qualification 
  • not have tuition fees funded by the NHS 
  • not qualify for a Scottish Education grant to cover your tuition fees (for example, Medicine or Dentistry students in the 5th year of study).
  • not have a household income of more than £42,875 a year if you commenced studies prior to August 2018, or not have a household income above £36,000 if you commenced studies after August 2018
  • not be on a study-abroad or work-placement year 

The level of support you receive depends on your household income and the year you start your studies.

Student Loans Company Income Assessments

You must have your income assessment verified by the Student Loans Company (SLC) in each year of study in order to have an LFS eligibility check carried out by the University. Your income assessment must be marked as verified on the SLC's system to be used as part of our eligibility check. We are unable to roll your assessed and verified household income from one academic year to the next.

There are a number of instances where it may not be possible for the SLC to verify your household income at the start of the academic year, eg if you have requested a current year income assessment, and in these instances we are unable to carry out an LFS eligibility check to determine your award. 

We have no control over the income assessments carried out by the SLC and will not be able to request that your income be verified by them. If you are advised by the University that your income has not been verified by the SLC then you will need to liaise with the SLC to understand why this has not happened. 

Please be aware that once your income has been verified later in the academic year your eligibility will be determined by the University and any outstanding award paid to you.

Foundation Year students

The higher award for foundation year students is payable in one academic year only. If you need to repeat a foundation year (for whatever reason) you would not receive the foundation year level of support again, but would be considered for the level of award appropriate to students who had progressed onto year 1 of a subsequent degree course. 

Migrant Worker status

The type of LFS award you are entitled to will be dependant on when the Migrant Worker status is granted. 

If you are granted Migrant Worker status by the Student Loans Company at the start of the academic year then you will be eligible to receive your award as either cash, an accommodation discount, or a tuition fee discount. 

If at the beginning of the year you are considered an EU student by the Student Loans Company, and subsequently are reassessed as a Migrant Worker, you will receive your LFS award as a tuition fee discount for the full academic year.

Students with full/partial fee waivers

If your School has awarded you a full or partial fee waiver (for whatever reason, usually this would only apply to students repeating a year with mitigating circumstances) your Leeds Financial Support award would be pro-rated. For example if you have been awarded a 60% fee waiver your Leeds Financial Support award would be 40% of the applicable full-fee award. If in a previous academic year you received a pro-rated overpayment of Leeds Financial Support due to your fee charge being reduced after payment, this would be taken in consideration when calculating your pro-rated Leeds Financial Support entitlement for the current year.    

If you are in receipt of a means-tested UG scholarship

If you are receiving a Means-Tested Undergraduate Scholarship then you are not eligible to receive an award from the Leeds Financial Support scheme.

Medics and Dentists

If you are a medicine or dentistry student you could receive help from the University for the first four years of your course provided you meet the rest of the LFS eligibility criteria, unless it is your second degree. After that, you will receive support under the NHS student bursary scheme (or Scottish Education for students domiciled in Scotland). In those funded years you will not be eligible to receive the Leeds Financial Support.


There are certain instances where you will not be eligible to receive a bursary award. These are:

If you already hold a degree level qualification 

As this fund is a widening participation scheme for students from low income backgrounds undertaking a first degree, students who already hold a degree level qualification or higher are not eligible to receive this award. 

Welsh Assembly Grant 

If you normally reside in Wales and receive the Welsh Government Tuition Fee Grant you already receive enhanced statutory financial support via Student Finance Wales and as a result pay a lower tuition fee.

Please note that as of September 2018 the Welsh Assembly Grant is no longer offered to new students. 

Year Abroad/In Industry

If you are spending a year in industry or studying abroad you will already be pay a reduced tuition fee and therefore not eligible to receive Leeds Financial Support.

Degree Apprenticeships

Students on a Degree Apprenticeship programme continue to receive a salary from their employer and have their fees paid directly to the university, so do not qualify for Leeds Financial Support