NHS student workforce fund
The NHS student workforce fund is available to some students within Faculty of Medicine and Health to support them while they continue with placement commitments at this challenging time. Find out if you're eligible, and how to apply.
Why has this fund been developed?
This has been created by donations from supporters specifically to support our students with placement commitments as part of their degree or those who have had their graduation brought forward to allow them to take up roles in the NHS workforce. The University had identified a unique set of challenges these students are facing and has developed the NHS Student Workforce Fund to provide financial support and enhanced counselling and wellbeing support at this challenging time. Please see here for further information about the counselling and wellbeing support available.
Am I eligible to apply for the FMH Student Workforce Fund?
You are eligible to apply if either of the following apply to you:
- a current student with placement in the NHS as part of your course before the end of September 2020
- early graduate opting into NHS placement to support during Covid-19
This fund is therefore currently open for the following cohorts until the end of September 2020:
- 2nd and 3rd year Nurses and Midwives
- 4th and 5th year MBChB students
- 2nd and 3rd year Radiographers
- Physician Associates
- Any other cohort involved in NHS placement before the end of the academic session
What can the fund support?
The fund is designed to be flexible to support students facing financial difficulty as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We anticipate the funds being used to support:
- Transport and relocation costs to placements outside Leeds.
- Compensation for the loss of income where caring responsibilities, lockdown or social distancing restrictions have impacted upon their secondary employment.
- Costs for accommodation where students are redeployed outside Leeds or where immediate household members are shielding.
- The cost of childcare or other caring responsibilities while on extended placements
How much can I apply for?
The maximum available is £1000 per student.
How do I apply?
How quickly will I receive the funds if successful?
Applications will be reviewed weekly by the panel; successful applicants will be informed by the end of the working day on Thursday and will receive the funds in their bank account by the end of the following week.
For more information please contact Ben Witz.