Absences, suspensions and extensions of your research

If you are unable to study or believe your progress is being significantly disrupted then you must let your Graduate School know immediately. 

The University understands that some postgraduate researchers (PGRs) will encounter events or circumstances that disrupt their academic progress (for example, ill-health or personal difficulties). In many cases they will recover any time that is lost, however where difficulties are significant, this may not be possible.  
If you are unable to study, or your progress is significantly disrupted, you should let your Graduate School know as soon as possible and they will be able to offer advice and support. It is a good idea to also let your supervisor(s) know of any issues if you are happy to, otherwise the Graduate School can discuss things with your supervisor(s) on your behalf.  
If you are in need of additional support or advice, there are teams across the University who will be happy to talk to you. The following is a list of services and contacts you may find useful: 
The Student cases website also has useful information on University policy and process you might find useful. 

Authorised absences

If you need a short period of absence from your studies, your supervisor/s may be able to authorise this. You and your supervisor must agree that the absence won't have any effect on your ability to meet deadlines for your research studies, including the transfer deadline and the maximum time limit for the submission of your thesis. Typical reasons for authorised absence include short periods of illness (supported by medical evidence) and personal difficulties.

Length of authorised absences

An authorised absence is normally up to four weeks’ duration in one calendar year. This is in addition to the five weeks annual leave allowance. If you require a longer period of absence, a suspension of study should be considered.

Returning after an authorised absence

You are expected to return to your studies promptly. This includes being able to carry out research effectively, attend the University and present work regularly against a timetable agreed with your supervisor.

If you're not ready to return keep in contact with your supervisor. Longer periods of absence may be dealt with as a suspension of study. If you do not keep in contact for a prolonged period, the University may assume you have withdrawn from your studies. It is therefore crucial that you discuss your return following absence with your supervisor.

Suspensions and extensions

Suspension of study

A suspension of study is a period of more than one month when a postgraduate researcher temporarily leaves the programme. During this time you would not be expected to progress your research or pay academic fees. You won’t have access to supervision, the library or other University facilities (such as laboratories). You will still be able to access IT facilities, such as email. Typical reasons for suspension of study are illness, maternity leave or personal difficulties. If you feel you may need a suspension of study, let your Graduate School know immediately. A period of suspension will not count towards the deadlines for the research degree including the transfer deadline (if this has not taken place) and the maximum time limit for submission of your thesis. This means deadlines will be lengthened to take account of the suspension period. You will be able to resume your studies when you are fit to do so or when you have overcome your difficulties.

Extension of study

An extension of study is a lengthening of your candidature to take account of unexpected or unavoidable disruption to studies which has slowed down academic progress significantly and which you are unable to make up the lost time for. You will not leave the programme and will continue to progress your research. Your supervisor will work with you to agree a timetable for completion. If the request is made during the overtime period, you will need to explain how much of your thesis is complete and submit a plan for completion of your thesis (which includes milestones) agreed by your supervisor.

Length of suspensions or extensions

The length of suspension or extension requested should be reasonable in the sense that it bears close relation to the problem or difficulties you are experiencing. Periods of suspension are normally granted for no longer than 12 months in the first instance. Any postgraduate researcher commencing their research degree from the academic year 2012-13 onwards will not be granted periods of suspension or extension equivalent to more than two calendar years for a full-time student or three calendar years for a part-time student other than in exceptional circumstances.

You can access more detailed information about suspensions and extensions for PGRs via the Suspensions and Extensions policy which can be found on the SES website Regulations, codes, policies and procedures for postgraduate research.

Requesting suspensions and extensions of study

You can also get advice from your Graduate School, Director of Postgraduate Research Studies or Supervisor.  Make sure you speak to staff in good time when your difficulty arises - suspensions won't normally be backdated by more than one month. You can request a suspension or extension by completing the relevent Change Request on GRAD.  If you would prefer not to document personal information into the GRAD workflow please contact your Graduate School in advance of submitting a request for support and advice.


You are responsible for checking any implications of a suspension or extension of study on your funding with the scholarship provider or the awarding body.

Registration after suspension or extension

You will need to re-register within 4 weeks of your return from a suspension and it may be the case that you have to register twice in a single academic year. If a case for an extension to the maximum period of study is granted by the Graduate Board, you will need to register for any extension to the candidature beyond one month. There is no fee for the extension. If you do not keep in contact with your Graduate School and supervisor, you may lose the time available to complete your thesis or be presumed to have withdrawn from the University.

Tier 4/Student Visa postgraduate researchers

Authorised absences and your visa

Authorised absences do not have any effect on your visa provided they do not impact on the overall time limit for completion of your programme of study.

Suspensions and your visa

If you are granted a suspension you should check your visa requirements. The University is required to report suspensions of study to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) within 10 working days of the start of the suspension.  Some changes reported by the University to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will result in visas being curtailed (shortened).  If this happens you will be notified by email and will be given 60 days' notice from the date of the curtailment notice.  Depending on your circumstances, you should either leave the UK, make an application to the UKVI to remain in the UK in a different immigration category or resume your studies promptly so that the University can update the report we have sent to them.   If you leave the UK you will need to apply for a CAS to enable you to apply for a new visa (entry clearance) from your home country before returning to the UK.

To summarise; if you are granted a suspension of study:

  • The University of Leeds will report your suspension of study to the UKVI
  • The UKVI may in turn curtail your visa
  • You may be required to leave the UK
  • If you leave the UK, you will need to request a new CAS and apply for entry clearance before returning to the UK to resume your studies
  • You should seek immigration advice from the Student Visa Advice Team. 


Time limit for leaving the UK after a suspension

Based on Student Visa regulations, we recommend that you leave the UK within 60 days of the start of your period of suspension, to avoid the possibility of overstaying your visa, which can have serious consequences.

Serious illness with medical evidence advising against travel

In extreme circumstances it is possible to make an immigration application outside the rules. This is complex and should be undertaken with expert immigration advice (outside the University). If you switch to another immigration category you cannot normally switch back to student permission in the UK.

Extensions and your visa

You should contact the Student Visa Advice for immigration advice.