Graduation certificate update

 Your degree certificate won’t be handed to you at graduation. Instead, this will be posted and emailed to you. To ensure we can send this out to you as soon as possible, we need some information from you to allow us to deliver your digital degree certificate and physical copy.

To be awarded your research degree, you need to have met the conditions as detailed on the Thesis and Submission pages of the For Students website. You will then be added to the pass list for approval by the Progression and Examinations Group. After your name has appeared on the pass list you will receive a GRAD notification requesting your up to date contact information in order that we can provide you with both and digital and physical copy of your degree certificate.

Once you have provided us with your up to date contact information, we will aim to provide the digital and physical copies of your certificate within 4 weeks.

Please remember that your university email address will usually close 9-12 weeks after your course ends and so we recommend you provide us with a personal email address. 

Award Statements

If you need an award statement urgently, for example for a visa requirement, or employer, academic institution, sponsor or other relevant party, please contact the thesis examination team in Doctoral College Operations. Once you have appeared on the pass list, we will be able to send you this There is no charge for an award statement if you request it within 3 months of appearing on a pass list.


The next graduation ceremonies will be held in July 2024. You can find further information on Graduation arrangements on the Graduation pages of the For Students website. Please contact the Graduation Team for any questions about graduation and to make arrangements for attending a graduation ceremony.

Replacement certificates and certified copies

If you have lost your original degree certificate, you can request a replacement or get a copy officially certified. Please note there will be a charge for all replacement certificates and copies. For more information please see the Replacement certificates and certified copies page of the For Students website