Please note, the classification calculators have been updated to allow you to estimate your 'Safety Net'average, as per the guidance issued on 30 April 2020.
Our classification calculator is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet which you can use to estimate your final degree classification.
The classification calculator is for guidance only. There is no guarantee that the classification you will calculate by this method is the one which will be finally awarded. All marks and classifications must be confirmed by the Exam Board on behalf of Senate before they become final.
COVID-19 and the Safety Net
To estimate your prevailing classification ('Safety Net') average, complete the following steps:
- Pre-2019/20 modules enter marks and credits in the relevant boxes as detailed in the calculator itself. Include any fail and AB (0) marks as per the instructions.
- 2019/20 modules enter the marks and credits for Semester 1 modules ONLY, i.e. modules which were fully completed in semester 1. Again include any fail or AB (0) marks as described in the calculator instructions.
- The calculation displayed at the end of the calculator is an estimate of your 'Safety Net' classification average.
For more information on the safety net average, please refer to the guidance.
Versions of the calculator
There are five versions of the classification calculator; choose the one that corresponds to your award title:
- Advanced Diploma - calculator 1
- Bachelor (Honours) - calculator 1
- Bachelor (Ordinary) - calculator 1
- Certificate - calculator 4
- Certificate of Higher Education - calculator 4
- Diploma - calculator 4
- Diploma of Higher Education - calculator 4
- Foundation Degree - calculator 4
- Graduate Certificate (including Professional Graduate Certificate (Non-direct entry)) - calculator 4
- Graduate Diploma - calculator 4
- Integrated Master - calculator 1 or calculator 2 *
- Master (first degree) - calculator 1 or calculator 2 *
- Master (taught postgraduate) - calculator 3
- Master and Bachelor of Dental Surgery - calculator 5
- Postgraduate Diploma - calculator 3
- Postgraduate Certificate - calculator 3
* depending on whether your programme of study is classified over penultimate and final years only, or Years 2, 3 and 4. For Integrated Master degrees with a study abroad variant which is not included in the classification average, Calculator 1 may be appropriate. Please check with your school first.
How to use the classification calculator
- Translate any pre-2018/19 marks awarded on the 20-90 scale to the 0-100 scale.
- Enter your results and credit values for each module in the blue-shaded boxes.
The calculator will tell you your average grade per year and your final overall average.
Contact us if you are having problems downloading or using the classification calculator.