Change of name or address

Please let the University know immediately about any changes to your name, address or emergency contact details so our records are up to date.

Change of name

The University’s student database (Banner) records your name in two areas, which are both used for formal verification purposes (Legal Name and First, Middle, Last). These should therefore be a reflection of your formal name and match each other exactly, unless character constraints prevent you from doing so.

You will be asked to confirm your name is correct when you register for each academic year, and when registering for graduation. Please note your Graduation Certificate will show your Legal Name, and does not include any prefixes for suffixes. If you change your name at any other point, you should tell the University by visiting the Student Services Counter or emailing

If you update your name, you will be asked to provide documentation for the update to be made. If you have made an official name change, please present the original official documents (e.g. deed poll, marriage certificate, divorce certificate). If you have not officially changed your name, please request a notification of change of name form (this form is designed to comply with the University's trans gender policy guidance). If you are still unsure of what to provide, please contact

Exam seating lists will be updated as quickly as possible, however, where a change is close to an exam period, in limited situations it may not be possible to reflect your change on the seating list.  If this causes you concern, please email the Exams Team

All changes must be made before you complete your studies to be processed within the standard procedures. If you do wish to change your name after the completion of your studies, please contact the Graduation Team for further advice.

Change of address and telephone number

The University needs to hold your permanent home and term time addresses and telephone numbers, along with the address and phone details for a named emergency contact.

Please update your address and emergency contact details through Minerva. Click the ‘Access Student Services” icon in the toolbar in the top right. Once logged in to Student Services, select 'Personal information' and follow the links for addresses. You can download guidance on updating your addresses here. 

International students that have a police registration certificate must also keep the Overseas Registration Office at Pudsey Police Station informed of any changes to their term-time address. More information about how to do this is on our police registration page.

If you are registered with Leeds Student Medical Practice, you must also inform them about your change of address separately. The University will not do this for you.