Transfer to a new programme

Sometimes students decide they would like to change the programme of study they are registered for - this might be possible but there is a process that should be followed.

If you wish to transfer to a new programme of study, you should discuss the possibility with the Head of your parent school (or nominee).

If you obtain agreement in principle to your transfer, you may then approach the admissions tutor in the school responsible for the programme to which you would like to transfer.

Whether or not you are permitted to transfer programme is likely to depend on a number of factors including:

  • a satisfactory attendance record
  • capacity in the receiving programme
  • agreement to the change from both your current parent school and the new programme school.

If both schools agree to the change, you can then request a change of programme form from your parent school.

Both the releasing and accepting schools must complete and sign the change of programme form before you can begin studying on your new programme.

Academic requirements

When you transfer to a new programme, it is expected that you will complete its full academic requirements.

It's up to you to take note of any advice given to you during discussions about transferring. Your new parent school will give you a written statement of any work to catch up on.

If there are any specific gaps in learning outcomes, you may be asked to take a small amount of extra modules or forego an elective to complete a specified module. You are not permitted to repeat any you have previously taken and passed.

Credit transfers

It may be possible, with the permission of the dean of the parent school concerned, to allow some of the credit you previously gained to be transferred. The receiving school will make a decision as to whether the modules you have already taken meet the learning outcomes of your new programme.


Generally, the regulations concerning resits will be identical in the programmes between which you are transferring. However, if they are different, the regulations of the programme into which you transfer apply.

Starting your new programme

It may not be possible for you to start your new programme until the beginning of the following session, in which case you will be expected to withdraw temporarily for the rest of the session and you must complete a leavers' form. You should check whether this will affect your entitlement to student loans and other funding (see Changes in Circumstances page for more information).

If, however, a transfer to another programme of study is not agreed by the end of the Easter vacation and you return to the University after the Easter vacation, you must remain on your existing programme and fulfil all examinations and assessments required for the current programme at the end of the session as a condition of the transfer.

A late transfer will not be taken into account if you underachieve in your examinations at the end of the year.

In addition, either school may require you to pass some or all of the examinations or assessments as a condition of the transfer. During this period, you will continue to be subject to the normal conditions of attendance in the University.

Tier 4 International Students

If your change of programme will result in a change of expected completion date, firstly your school needs to email your completed change of programme form to the International Student Advice team for approval in relation to immigration time caps.

If the change of programme is approved you can then request a new CAS to make a new Tier 4 application. If you will be undertaking a work placement or study abroad year it is important that you read further guidance regarding making your new application.

If you are required to apply for ATAS clearance as a result of your change of programme, please ensure that you do so at your earliest opportunity following the change.

Once you are ready to submit your new Tier 4 application, please book an appointment with the International Student Advice team for an Adviser to check your application and documents.

For any further enquiries please contact the International Student Advice team or attend at drop-in session which is open at 10.30 every day between Monday and Friday. 

Sometimes students decide they have made the wrong choice and would like to transfer to a programme at a different University. This is normally possible.

Transfer to another University

If you decide you have made the wrong choice and would like to transfer to a programme at a different University, this is normally possible. Find out how to transfer to another University