Registering outside of September
To guide you through registration outside of September, weve provided details on what you need to do, key dates, locations and who to contact if you need help.
The registration process
You'll need to register at the start of every academic year. There are two parts to the process:
- Part A - online registration (new and returning students)
- Part B - identity checks and collecting your student ID card (all new students - including graduates from the University who have come through our admissions process to start a new course)
Please read what you'll need to register before you begin the process.
When to register
If youre joining the University outside of September, you can complete the online registration steps around a month before the start of your course. You must have accepted an unconditional offer from us in order to access online registration.
We expect you to complete registration during the month that you begin your course. You should have a discussion with your parent school if you can't do this, as not registering by the University's scheduled deadlines will result in you being withdrawn from your course.
If youre an international student, attend your welcome talk and collect your welcome pack before you start registration.
How to register
Part A: online registration steps
Online registration is completed on minerva.leeds.ac.uk:
- New students: visit minerva.leeds.ac.uk, click New Student? Retrieve your Username and Password and enter your details to get your University of Leeds username and password. Return to minerva.leeds.ac.uk and log in with these details.
- Returning students: If youve forgotten your password, please reset your password.
Once you've logged into Minerva, to access online registration:
- click on the Access Student Services icon in the top right
- log in then click 'Registration'
- follow the on-screen instructions to complete the seven steps*
When you have completed the seven steps, you will see a page called Registration Certificate at the end and be able to access a PDF version. New students should save a copy of this certificate.
Undergraduates: If you are an undergraduate who completed your qualifications before this year or outside the UK, you will need to show the originals or certified copies of your required qualifications before you can start online registration. Details of where to take your documents can be found on our qualifications checks pages.
Postgraduates: All postgraduate students (except University of Leeds graduates) will also need to show qualifications before being given access to online registration. This is in addition to the scans you will have provided for your application. Details of where to take your documents can be found on our qualifications checks pages.
Part B: identity checks and collecting your student ID card
New students will need to have an identity check to be fully registered. You will then be able to collect a student ID card within the same appointment. If you're an international student and need to collect a BRP at the University, this happens in the same location as the identity check and collecting your student ID card.
Some courses are exempt from identity checks, however if you are receiving a Student Loan you will need to complete an identity check in order to receive your funding.
For the identity check, you will need:
- UK students passport and "registration certificate" page of online registration*
- EEA students passport/national identity card and "registration certificate" page of online registration*
- International students - passport and immigration permission documents, BRP certificate/BRP collection email (if needed) and "registration certificate" page of online registration*
*If you haven't been able to complete online registration and are waiting on other processes to complete this, you can usually still complete the identity check and collect an ID card. You just need the identification documents above and your nine digit student ID number (instead of your "registration certificate" page). You will be issued with a reminder that you have not yet completed full registration as part of the identity check if you do this.
Once you have the relevant documents, take them to:
You can apply for your student ID card and verify your identity online if you are not on campus to complete your course or if you cant complete the process in person for any reason.
After you've registered
Your parent school will invite you to attend induction sessions that will give you more information about your course. You'll also have the opportunity to meet your tutors and find out more about the facilities and resources available. Take a look at our arrival pages to find out more about starting life as a student in Leeds.
Common problems during registration
- If you receive an error message when retrieving your username and password, check that you are:
- a new student, and don't already have a username and password
- entering your nine digit Student ID number
- entering your date of birth as provided on your application
- not trying to collect your username and password before the date shown on the page
- have accepted your offer to study at the University of Leeds on your admissions portal
- If youre a UK or EEA student who is expecting a student loan to pay for your fees, this must be approved by the Student Loans Company before it is linked to your university file. Your student loan will be released after you have completed all of the registration process. It will not be released if you have deferred registration. If you believe your loan is delayed, please check you've met the requirements for your loan.
- If your loan is for postgraduate study, youll need to set up an instalment plan to pay your tuition fees before you will be able to register.
If you need help during the online registration process, click on HELP in the top right hand corner of the screen.
Where to get further help
- For further help and advice on the registration process you can contact our Registration Helpline. Email email@example.com or telephone 0800 9150402 (within UK) or +44 113 343 7000 (outside UK).
- Fees: UGfees@leeds.ac.uk or PGfees@leeds.ac.uk or 0113 343 6700
- Funding (UK or EEA students): firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 2007
- Accommodation: email@example.com or 0113 343 7777
- Academic verification documents: please contact your school (subject department)
- International students can visit the International Student Information Point from 13-28 September 2018 (including weekends) in the Michael Sadler building. Outside these times, visit the International Student Office.
You can also contact the following teams for specific issues you may be facing: