How to register
Registration is the official process of becoming a student of the University. Registration guidance for students is provided below, and you will need to register at the start of every academic year.
All students need to register online every year. New students will also need to complete an identity check. See our sections below for further guidance.
How to register
Part A: online registration
You will be able to sign in to Minerva, and access your modules and University email with your username and password. Please note - being able to log in to Minerva does not mean you are registered.
New and returning students:
To access and complete online registration:
- Go to minerva.leeds.ac.uk
- Sign in with your username (followed by @leeds.ac.uk) and password
- Click the 'Access Student Services' icon underneath the 'Learn' tab
- Sign in to Student Services
- Click 'Registration'
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the seven steps*
- Save a copy of your Registration Certificate for your records
Part B: online identity check
If you're a new student, or have started a new programme of study, you will need to complete an online identity check to be fully registered. To find out more, see our how to complete your identity check webpage.
Some courses are exempt from identity checks, however if you are receiving a Student Loan you will need to complete an identity check in order to receive your funding.
Students beginning/returning in September
You can begin online registration from the following dates:
- Returning taught students (undergraduate and postgraduate): 3rd August 2020
- New taught postgraduate students: 3rd August 2020
- New incoming study abroad/exchange students: 3rd August 2020
- New undergraduate students: 2nd September 2020
- Research students: one month before your official start/anniversary of start date
All students starting a course in September are expected to complete registration by 9th October 2020. Students who have not fully registered by this date due to delays in documentation or fee payment must as priority discuss their next steps with the relevant department (see contact details below in Where To Get Further Help) and must have an agreed plan of action with this department.
The deadline for September starting/returning student to complete registration has been extended.
September starting/returning students who are not registered at 9am on Monday 9th November will be withdrawn from their studies.
If you are an international student who will not be travelling to the UK before the 9th November, you will need to have received permission from your School to start your studies remotely. The deadline for you to complete the identity check will then be extended according to your expected arrival date. You will still need to complete online registration before the deadline of 9th November.
If you are studying a Language Centre pre-sessional programme starting in October, the deadline to complete registration remains as Monday 2nd November.
Students beginning in January 2021
You can begin online registration from 2nd December 2020.
All students starting a course in January are expected to complete registration by 5th February 2021. Students who have not fully registered by this date due to delays in documentation or fee payment must as priority discuss their next steps with the relevant department (see contact details below in Where To Get Further Help) and must have an agreed plan of action with this department.
January starting students who are not registered at 9am on 22nd February 2021 will be withdrawn from their studies.
Students beginning/returning outside September
You can begin online registration around one month before your official start date/anniversary of start date. You should receive communications from your School with guidance on registration.
All students are expected to complete registration within two weeks of their start/return date. Students who have not fully registered by this date due to delays in documentation or fee payment must discuss their next steps with the relevant department (see contact details below in Where To Get Further Help) and must have an agreed plan of action with this department.
Students who are not registered within four weeks of their start/return date will be withdrawn from their studies.
Common problems during registration
- If you receive an error message when retrieving your username and password, check that you are:
- a new student, and don't already have a username and password
- entering your nine digit Student number
- entering your date of birth as provided on your application
- not trying to collect your username and password before the date shown on the page
- have accepted your offer to study at the University of Leeds on your admissions portal
If you have trouble logging into your account after registering for Self Service Password Reset, please contact the IT Service Desk.
If you need help during the online registration process, click on “HELP” in the top right hand corner of the screen.
If you can’t complete registration because of issues relating to your fee payment, you can contact the Student Fees team (contact details are below)
- If you’re a British or EEA student who is expecting a student loan to pay for your fees, this must be approved by the Student Loans Company before it is linked to your university file. Your student loan will be released after you have completed both steps of the registration process (online steps and identity check). If you believe your loan is delayed, please check you've met the requirements for your loan.
- If your loan is for postgraduate study, you’ll need to set up an instalment plan to pay your tuition fees before you will be able to register.
Where to get further help
- Registration Helpline: For further help and advice on the registration process you can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also contact the following teams for specific issues you may be facing:
- International students: contact the International Student Office on email@example.com
- Fees: UGfees@leeds.ac.uk or PGfees@leeds.ac.uk
- Funding (UK or EEA students): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Accommodation: email@example.com
- Academic verification documents: please contact your school (subject department)