How to register
Registration is the official process of becoming a student of the University. Registration guidance for students starting in September is provided below.
You'll need to register at the start of every academic year. If you're a new student, you need to complete online registration and your identity check when you arrive. If you're a returning student, you only need to complete online registration.
How to register
Part A: online registration
New students: retrieve your username and password.
You will be able to sign in to Minerva and access your modules and University email with your username and password. Please note - being able to log in to Minerva does not mean you are registered.
To access and complete online registration:
- Go to Student Services (studentservices.leeds.ac.uk) (also accessible via Minerva)
- Sign in and click 'Registration'
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the seven steps*
- Save a copy of your Registration Certificate for your records
*If you see a message saying 'Qualifications Required':
Undergraduates: If you are an undergraduate who completed your qualifications before this year or outside the UK, you will need to show the originals or certified copies of your required qualifications before you can start online registration. Details of where to take your documents can be found on our qualifications checks pages.
Postgraduates: All postgraduate students (except University of Leeds graduates) will also need to show qualifications before being given access to online registration. This is in addition to the scans you will have provided for your application. Details of where to take your documents can be found on our qualifications checks pages.
Part B: identity check and collecting your student ID card
If you're a new student, or have started a new programme of study, you will need to complete an identity check when you arrive on campus to be fully registered. You can also collect your student ID card at the same time as completing the identity check. If you're an international student and need to collect a BRP at the University, this happens in the same location as the identity check and collecting your student ID card.
To find out more, see our how to complete an identity check and get your student ID card page.
Some courses are exempt from identity checks, however if you are receiving a Student Loan you will need to complete an identity check in order to receive your funding.
Students beginning/returning outside September
You can begin online registration from the following dates:
- International students (not study abroad/exchange): you must arrive in Leeds, and should attend your welcome talk and collect your welcome pack before you start registration
- All other students: around one month before your official start/anniversary of start date
All students are expected to complete registration within two weeks of their start/return date. Students who have not fully registered by this date due to delays in documentation or fee payment must discuss their next steps with the relevant department (see contact details below in Where To Get Further Help) and must have an agreed plan of action with this department.
Students who are not registered within four weeks of their start/return date will be withdrawn from their studies.
Common problems during registration
- If you receive an error message when retrieving your username and password, check that you are:
- a new student, and don't already have a username and password
- entering your nine digit Student ID number
- entering your date of birth as provided on your application
- not trying to collect your username and password before the date shown on the page
- have accepted your offer to study at the University of Leeds on your admissions portal
- If youre a British or EEA student who is expecting a student loan to pay for your fees, this must be approved by the Student Loans Company before it is linked to your university file. Your student loan will be released after you have completed both steps of the registration process (online steps and identity check). If you believe your loan is delayed, please check you've met the requirements for your loan.
- If your loan is for postgraduate study, youll need to set up an instalment plan to pay your tuition fees before you will be able to register.
If you need help during the online registration process, click on HELP in the top right hand corner of the screen.
If you cant complete registration because of issues relating to your fee payment, you can contact the Student Fees team (contact details are below)
Where to get further help
- For further help and advice on the registration process you can contact our Registration Helpline. Email email@example.com or telephone 0800 9150402 (within UK) or +44 113 343 7000 (outside UK).
- Fees: UGfees@leeds.ac.uk or PGfees@leeds.ac.uk or 0113 343 6700
- Funding (UK or EEA students): firstname.lastname@example.org or 0113 343 2007
- Accommodation: email@example.com or 0113 343 7777
- Academic verification documents: please contact your school (subject department)
- International students: visit the International Student Office.
You can also contact the following teams for specific issues you may be facing: