How to register
Registration is the official process of becoming a student of the University. Registration guidance for students is provided below, and you will need to register at the start of every academic year.
All students need to register online every year. New students will also need to complete an identity check. See our sections below for further guidance.
How to register
Activating your IT account
New students: please follow the steps below carefully to set up your University IT account.
- We strongly advise using a laptop or computer for the following steps. Please do not try to activate your IT account from your mobile device.
- Make sure you’ve accepted an unconditonal offer for the University of Leeds.
Please wait three working days after accepting your unconditional offer before trying to activate your IT account.
If you are a taught postgraduate international student, you will also need to have paid your tuition fee deposit or provided exemption evidence, and waited for this to be allocated to your record – you will get an email to confirm when this has happened. Please wait three working days after receiving the confirmation email before trying to activate your IT account.
- Before you can log in and register, you need to retrieve your username and password.
Make sure you check the date when your IT account should be live in the following ‘Timelines & Deadlines’ section first.
- Once you have your default password, click 'Next' and read the guidance on Self Service Password Reset (SSPR).
- Go to http://office365.leeds.ac.uk/ and log in with your username (followed by @leeds.ac.uk) and default password, you should then be taken through the process of signing up for SSPR and Duo Security (two-factor authentication). You should also be prompted to change your initial password. You will need to set up your SSPR account and enrol for Duo Security to be able to log in to University systems for the first time.
- Complete the following steps to start and complete your online registration once you have successfully set up your IT account.
Part A: online registration
You will be able to sign in to University systems and access module enrolment with your username and password. Please note – being able to log in to University systems does not mean you are registered. See guidance below on how to register online.
New and returning students:
To access and complete online registration:
- Go to studentservices.leeds.ac.uk
- Sign in with your username (followed by @leeds.ac.uk) and password
- Click 'Registration'
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the seven steps*
- Save a copy of your Registration Certificate for your records
*If you see a hold message:
Follow the guidance on the hold message. If you have questions, contact the email address listed.
Part B: online identity check
If you're a new student, or have started a new programme of study, you will need to complete an online identity check to be fully registered. To find out more, see our how to complete your identity check webpage.
Some courses are exempt from identity checks, however if you are receiving a Student Loan you will need to complete an identity check in order to receive your funding.
Timelines and deadlines
For academic year 2022/23
For undergraduate, masters, and taught postgraduate courses starting or returning outside of September:
You can begin online registration one month before your official start date/anniversary of start date. You should receive communications from your School with guidance on registration.
All students are expected to complete registration within two weeks of their start/return date. Students who have not fully registered by this date due to delays in documentation or fee payment must discuss their next steps with the relevant department (see contact details in the following Where To Get Further Help section) and must have an agreed plan of action with this department.
Students who are not registered within four weeks of their start/return date will be withdrawn from their studies. Please find a table of our monthly registration deadlines for 2022/23 courses below.
Course start/return month
|September 2022||01 August 2022||31 October 2022|
|October 2022||01 September 2022||31 October 2022|
|November 2022||01 October 2022||28 November 2022|
|December 2023||01 November 2022||16 January 2023|
|January 2023||01 December 2022||27 February 2023|
|February 2023||01 January 2023||06 March 2023|
|March 2023||01 February 2023||27 March 2023|
|April 2023||01 March 2023||02 May 2023 (avoiding days the University is closed)|
|May 2023||01 April 2023||05 June 2023|
|June 2023||01 May 2023||03 July 2023|
|July 2023||01 June 2023||31 July 2023|
|August 2023||01 July 2023||04 September 2023 (avoiding days the University is closed)|
For postgraduate researcher programmes starting (or returning) on and after September 2022:
Registration opens for new and returning postgraduate researchers (PGRs) one month before the start date or anniversary of the start date. Please see the ‘Registration Opens’ date in the table below.
Registration must be completed by the last day of the start/anniversary month. Please see the ‘Registration Deadline’ in the table below.
Any new or returning PGRs who are not registered within 4 weeks of their registration deadline will be withdrawn from their studies and lose access to their account. New PGRs must also submit documents for their identity check to complete registration. Any PGRs who have not submitted their documents within 4 weeks of their Registration deadline will be withdrawn.
If PGRs are unable to register before the registration deadline date due to delays in documentation or fee payment, they must discuss their next steps with the relevant department as a priority. Please see contact details for these departments in Where To Get Further Help section.
It is also important that contact your Graduate School and let them know what is happening so that they can advise you on other options, for example a deferred start date (for new PGRs) or a suspension of studies (for returning PGRs).
Start date / anniversary of start date
|1 September 2022||01 August 2022||30 September 2022|
|1 October 2022||01 September 2022||07 November 2022|
|01 November 2022||01 October 2022||07 December 2022|
|01 December 2022||01 November 2022||31 December 2022|
|01 January 2023||01 December 2022||31 January 2023|
|01 February 2023||01 January 2023||28 February 2023|
|01 March 2023||01 February 2023||31 March 2023|
|01 April 2023||01 March 2023||30 April 2023|
|01 May 2023||01 April 2023||31 May 2023|
|01 June 2023||01 May 2023||30 June 2023|
|01 July 2023||01 June 2023||31 July 2023|
|01 August 2023||01 July 2023||31 August 2023|
If you will be re-registering after a period of suspended study, your Graduate School will contact you at that time to provide further information about the registration and return to study process and registration deadlines. Further information can be found on our webpage for PGR absences, suspensions and extensions.
Common problems during registration
- If you receive an error message when retrieving your username and password, check that you are:
- entering your nine digit Student number
- entering your date of birth as provided on your application
- entering your official first name as it appears on official documentation and on your application
- not trying to collect your username and password before the date shown above in the ‘Timeline’ section, stating when you can start registering
- for taught postgraduate (Masters) students, have accepted your unconditional offer to study at the University of Leeds on your admissions portal, and if you need a visa, you have paid your tuition fee deposit or provided exemption evidence
If you have trouble logging into your account after registering for Self Service Password Reset, please contact the IT Service Desk.
If you need help during the online registration process, click on ‘HELP’ in the top right hand corner of the screen.
If you can’t complete registration because of issues relating to your fee payment, you can contact the Student Fees team (contact details are below)
- If you’re a British or EEA student who is expecting a student loan to pay for your fees, this must be approved by the Student Loans Company before it is linked to your university file. Your student loan will be released after you have completed both steps of the registration process (online steps and identity check). If you believe your loan is delayed, please check you've met the requirements for your loan.
- If your loan is for postgraduate study, you’ll need to set up a ‘PG Loan’ instalment plan to pay your tuition fees before you will be able to register.
Where to get further help
Student Information Service:
For further help and advice on the registration process you can contact us on email@example.com or call +44 (0)113 343 7000 (from outside of the UK) or 0800 915 0402 (from inside the UK – this is free phone number, and you won’t be charged for calling this from your mobile or landline).
Information on Student Information Service opening hours can be found here: https://students.leeds.ac.uk/askingforhelp
Our Information Points are open from 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday across campus if you’d like to speak face to face.
- Worsley building campus map link | Google map link
- Marjorie and Arnold Ziff building campus map link | Google map link
- Maurice Keyworth building campus map link | Google map link
- Bragg building campus map link | Google map link
You can also contact the following teams for specific issues you may be facing:
- Visa and Immigration: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fees: UGfees@leeds.ac.uk or PGfees@leeds.ac.uk, or call +44(0)113 3436700, open Monday-Friday, 10:00-12:30 and 13:30-16:00
- Funding (UK or EEA students): email@example.com
- Accommodation: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic verification documents: please contact your school (subject department)