What you will need to register

To help make sure that you have the right documents and information to complete your registration, we’ve outlined what you will need for each step of registration based on the type of student you are.

This page gives details on required information and documentation for registration. For more details on the process, see our page about how to register

New international students 

If you are a student from outside the UK/EEA, please wait to until you arrive in Leeds before beginning any part of registration. Further information for new international students can be found at on the International Student Welcome and Arrival pages. Once you have arrived in Leeds, please follow the instructions given below for new students.  

New students

Part A - online registration

Your original academic qualifications may need to be verified in person before you can access online registration if you:
- are starting a postgraduate level course
- studied outside of the UK
- completed your studies over a year before your entry to the university

You will see a message about qualifications required when attempting to access the online registration system if so. Find out where to take these documents on our qualifications checks pages. Once verified, you will have access to online registration.

To complete online registration, you will need:

  • Student number: this is the nine digit number on your offer letter, your welcome letter/email, or your applicant portal (for postgraduates). This will be used to retrieve your IT username and password.
  • Fee payment information: if you are sponsored, you will need to provide a sponsor letter to Sponsors@leeds.ac.uk. You may need to provide your UK bank account details or evidence of your support from Student Finance. 
  • Address details: you will be asked to confirm your home, term time and emergency contact address details and telephone numbers during online registration. 

Part B - identity check and collecting documents

To complete your identity check and collect your student ID card, you will need:

  • Your "Registration Certificate" page**: This is the confirmation page of online registration. New students should take this to your identity check on campus (electronic on phone or tablet, or print a copy)
  • Official identification
    • British students: passport. British students without a passport will need to show your birth/adoption certificate with a completed Identification Verification form.
    • EEA students: passport or national identity card
    • International students: passport and immigration permission documents, visa (including BRP or BRP collection email***, if required), ATAS certificate (if required)

Once you have completed your identity check, you will be able to collect a student card during your appointment.  

**If you haven't been able to complete online registration and are waiting on other processes to complete this, you can usually still complete the identity check and collect a student card. You just need the identification documents above and your nine digit student number (instead of your "registration certificate" page). You will be issued with a reminder that you have not yet completed full registration as part of the identity check if you do this.

***Biometric Residence Permit collection email: If you need a BRP and have chosen to collect it from the University, you'll be sent an email from us with details of when and where you can collect it. You will need to have received this email to be able to complete your identity check. 

Returning students (including students completing a year abroad or in industry)

You can complete online registration through minerva.leeds.ac.uk. You will still need to do this if you're doing a year abroad or in industry. 

Please note if you are:

  • Returning from temporary leave*: confirm your return with your School before you register. If your student card has expired, complete online registration before exchanging your old card for a new one. 
  • Returning after temporary leave* due to medical reasons: you’ll also need to provide a "fit to return" medical note to your school before you can register. 
  • Resitting your year as an external student: you should have applied to take your resits but will not need to complete online registration (you are considered "not registered" as an external student) 
  • An international student who is resitting or has taken temporary leave*, speak to the International Student Office for advice on your visa requirements.

*Temporary leave is also known as suspension for postgraduate researchers.

You can find out more about the registration process on our how to register page.