Mitigating Circumstances Guidance
Mitigating circumstances are normally exceptional, short term, unforeseen and unpreventable events that may have a significantly disruptive effect on your ability to take assessments.
Mitigating circumstances are events that are over and above the course of everyday life, and normally outside of your control, and may affect your ability to complete coursework or other assessments and, revise for and sit assessments.
Mitigating circumstances is the umbrella term used by the University of Leeds for the process by which students can seek mitigation for the impact on their ability to complete assessments.
There are two routes of mitigation available: ‘Extensions to Coursework Deadlines’ and ‘Additional Consideration’.
Please see the Mitigating Circumstances Guidance for full details, including how to apply for an extension to a coursework deadline or additional consideration.
Students with disabilities or long-term health conditions
If you are disabled, or you have a long-term health condition (12 months or more) that impacts on your day to day activities, you should register with Disability Services who will advise further on support and reasonable adjustments to your study and assessment. Disability includes Specific Learning Difficulties (such as dyslexia and dyspraxia), as well as diagnosed mental health conditions. You can find out more about Disability Services and how to register on the Setting up your support webpage.
How should I apply for mitigating circumstances?
You can apply for Mitigating Circumstances (for either a coursework extension or additional consideration) by completing the online application form.
Who should I contact if I need help or support?
We encourage you to contact the Student Support team in your parent school at any time if you need help or support. Please see the list of email addresses:
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures
- School of Design: email@example.com
- School of English: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies: email@example.com
- School of History and Institute for Medieval Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Languages, Cultures and Societies: email@example.com
- Language Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Media and Communications: email@example.com
- School of Music: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Performance & Cultural Industries: PCI@leeds.ac.uk
- School of Philosophy, Religion and the History of Science: email@example.com
Faculty of Biological Sciences
- School of Biology (UG): FBSwellbeing@leeds.ac.uk
- School of Biomedical Sciences: FBSwellbeing@leeds.ac.uk
- School of Molecular & Cellular Biology: FBSwellbeing@leeds.ac.uk
- PG Taught: FBSwellbeing@leeds.ac.uk
Leeds University Business School
- Leeds University Business School: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty of Social Sciences
- School of Education: email@example.com
- School of Law: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Politics & International Studies: email@example.com
- School of Sociology and Social Policy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- School of Chemical & Process Engineering: email@example.com
- School of Chemistry: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Civil Engineering: email@example.com
- School of Computing: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering: email@example.com
- School of Mathematics: MathsStudentSupport@leeds.ac.uk
- School of Mechnical Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schools of Physics & Astronomy: email@example.com
Faculty of Environment
- School of Earth & Environment: SEE-StudentSupport@leeds.ac.uk
- School of Geography: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institute for Transport Studies: email@example.com
- School of Food Science and Nutrition: FSN_wellbeing@leeds.ac.uk
Faculty of Medicine and Health
- School of Dentisty: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Healthcare: SoHCStudentSupport@leeds.ac.uk
- School of Medicine: email@example.com
- School of Psychology: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lifelong Learning Centre: email@example.com
- Digital Education Service: DESstudents@leeds.ac.uk
- International Foundation Year: IFYProgramme@leeds.ac.uk