The University has made funds available for key activities to support students in managing the the increasing costs of living.
As part of this programme, Disability Services has been given funds to support students with the costs of accessing a diagnostic assessment.
Funds will be available to any student or researcher who has had, or needs to, access any type of diagnostic assessment, which would enable them to access disability support. We have tried to keep the process as simple as possible.There are no financial assessments or means testing, and you are not required to repay any costs awarded.
How much is available?
We ae making up to £500 available for each diagnostic assessment. We will however only pay the cost of the assessment, you cannot simply apply for the full amount regardless of cost. Equally, if the diagnostic assessment you need costs more than £500, please let us know, as in exceptional circumstances we can award additional funds.
What sort of assessment can I have funded?
You can apply to this fund for any sort of assessment that will support you to access disability support. This may include diagnostic assessments for:
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia
- ADHD*: This document gives more information about how to find an assessor for ADHD
- Autism: This document gives more information about how to find an assessor for autism
- Visual stress such as Irlans syndrome
If you are in any doubt please do contact us, or complete the application form so that we can talk it through with you.
*Please note – Private assessments for ADHD may not be recognised by the NHS and as such you will not be able to access associated medication via the NHS. This would result in you having to fund the cost of any medication yourself for the duration that you access it. Please consider this type of private assessment very carefully and discuss with a member of the team if you are in any doubt.
Things you need to know
Read the following carefully to make sure you are clear on what the limitations are:
- This funding is limited to the 2022/23 academic year and is only available to those students who have had, or need, a diagnostic assessment between the 1 August 2022 and 31 July 2023. There are no exceptions to this as it is based on the availability of funds.
- You are not able to claim this funding if you have already been awarded financial assistance for an assessment via the Finance Assistance fund.
- You will need to identify where you would like to have your diagnostic assessment. We can assist with helping you find an appropriate supplier, but you will need to make the arrangements.
- If you have already had an assessment, and have a receipt, you can reclaim the costs. You will however need to provide a receipt for the assessment as evidence.
How to apply
All you need to do is complete the application form and a member of the team will be in touch. Please note that we will process these applications as quicly as possible and aim to do so in 10 working days.
Application form: https://forms.office.com/e/Re3BsmjQSZ
Questions can be sent to: email@example.com