How and when to apply

As the Student Services Centre is currently closed you can request a form by emailing the Funding team. Please include your name and student ID in the email. If you are eligible to apply, you will be sent an application form by return email, along with further instructions.

When we receive your form, a member of the Funding team will check through the application and evidence, and assess whether we need any further information or documentation. 

If we do require further information, we will inform you by email to your University email address. You will need to check your University email account regularly to prevent unnecessary delays in your application. You must tell us if your University email account is suspended.

Contact the Funding team if you need help or have any questions or get advice from Leeds University Union Advice in the Leeds University Union foyer.

When to apply

If you are an estranged student experiencing difficulties meeting the cost of starting your course you should contact the University’s Plus Programme: for advice and support.

All other students can apply from the first day of the academic year. You must have completed registration (this does not apply to external or suspended students). Students eligible for a Maintenance Loan or NHS Bursary must have received the first instalment of either.

You must make your application with all necessary evidence by the last day of your personal academic year (18 June 2021 for most students).

If you apply during the final month of your academic year or course, any award you receive will only be for the remaining number of weeks and not for the whole academic year. 

You cannot a make second application in any one study year. However, if there has been significant change in your financial circumstances, you may ask for a review of your application. You can ask for a review whether or not you were initially awarded a grant. If the review finds any additional financial need then you may be awarded a grant (or an increase to your initial grant). You can ask for a review up until the last day of your academic year.

Applying during the summer vacation

If your course has a summer vacation you will not usually be considered for help during this period unless you are in one of the following categories:

  • You have dependent children (you should already have applied for all available benefits).
  • You are unable to work due to illness.
  • You are unable to work due to a disability (you should already have applied for all available benefits).
  • You are a care leaver.
  • You are estranged from both your parents or your guardian(s) and you have no support from your family, or, you have been granted independent status by the Student Loans Company due to estrangement.
  • You have been a Foyer Scheme resident, or participated in a similar scheme for homeless people.
  • You have a financial emergency
  • You are unable to meet course-related costs that are essential to continue your studies

Students with August resits can find information on funding for the resit period on this Examinations webpage.

You can apply for summer costs at any time during your vacation period.