International, careers, references, and independent advice

I am an International Student, who do I contact if I need advice?

International students, like all students, should call upon their Academic Personal Tutor for initial guidance and support.
To access specialist advice regarding visas or other related issues you will need to contact the University International Student Office.  
If you require support with the English language you can contact the University Language Centre who can assess your level of competence and assist you in improving your skills.  More targeted support is provided by staff within the school where appropriate.

I’m not sure if I am on the right course, or would like advice about my career, who can I speak to?
Approach your Academic Personal Tutor in the first instance. The Medical School has a dedicated MBChB Careers Adviser, Ms Helen Steele. Ms Steele can provide MBChB students with a one-to-one careers guidance interview. To arrange an appointment please e-mail Ms Steele at Please note Ms Steele only works 2 days per week with the School. The University Careers Service provides a drop in service for careers advice with much information on the website.
I need a reference. Who can provide it?
Your Academic Personal Tutor can provide you with a character reference whilst your Associate Director of Progress (MBChB) or Programme Lead (other courses) can provide you with an academic reference.
I need advice which is independent from the School of Medicine. Who should I speak to?
During your studies you may need to seek advice which is independent from the School of Medicine. This usually relates to such issues as plagiarism or appeals. If this is the case the Leeds University Union is best placed to advise you. More details can be found on their website