Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) certificate’
An Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) certificate is required for students undertaking clinical placements as part of their studies within the School of Medicine. The certification process is undertaken on entry to the programme and repeated once every three years whilst the student is still undertaking the same programme of study.
It is important for students to respond quickly when they receive notification from the School of Medicine that DBS certification is required since clinical placements cannot be attended by students who fail to comply with DBS clearance processes. Enhanced DBS applications are managed via the University's DBS system hosted by Security Watchdog. A Privacy Notice Statement for Security Watchdog is available to explain how your information is managed.
The following contains details of the six stages students follow to apply for the Enhanced DBS certificate.
Stage 1: Provide details of your current Enhanced DBS certificate and contact number
Submit details of your current Enhanced DBS and mobile telephone number to the School of Medicine SES Placements Team to enable us to set you up on the Security Watchdog DBS system.
- A valid mobile phone number is required as texts will be sent to this number by the Security Watchdog system as you progress through your application.
Stage 2: Welcome Email and registering your account
Receive Welcome Email from Security Watchdog to your University email address and start the DBS application process.
- The Security Watchdog welcome email will be received from Screening@securitywatchdog.org.uk with the subject of the email as Screening.
- Please ensure you look in your Spam and Clutter for this email, if you believe you have not received this email please contact the Medicine Placements Team who can resend the Welcome Email to you.
Register to create an account with Security Watchdog to enable you to submit your application.
- You must ensure you use your University email address for all parts of this process and that you submit the same mobile telephone number you have notified the SES Placements Team of in Stage 1.
Stage 3: Post Office Document Verification
In line with the Home Office code of practice, all applicants requiring a CRB/DBS check must have their identity verified.
To complete this you must take your documents to be verified at the Post Office as part of the Post Office Document Certification Service. The cost of this check is £12.75 for the three documents you require verifying as part of the Enhanced DBS application process.
Once your documents have been verified you will be able to upload these to the Security Watchdog application.
To support students with the cost of verifying your documents the School of Medicine will direct a Maintenance payment of £12.75 to students applying for an Enhanced DBS certificate at this time.
To ensure there is no delay to this payment being received to your bank account you must ensure your bank details are up to date via MINERVA.
A confirmation email will be sent to students when we have a confirmed payment date for the £12.75 maintenance payment to ensure students receive reimbursement for this cost prior to requiring verification of documents.
Stage 4: Submitting your Enhanced DBS Application
This stage will guide you through submitting your Enhanced DBS Application to the Security Watchdog system.
If you have any questions, please contact the University of Leeds Security Watchdog screening team on 01420 593830 who will be happy to assist. Alternatively you can use the online chat bot on the Help Hub who can provide guidance on documentation and application queries.
You are required to complete all parts of the screening process prior to submitting your application:
- Your supporting documents must include proof of your current address. This will be where your DBS certificate is posted to by the DBS Service.
- Personal details
- You must indicate your name exactly as it appears on your passport, including middle names, otherwise your application will be unsuccessful .
- Address timeline
- There cannot be any gaps/overlaps in your address history for the past 5 years. Please make sure the month and year of each address follows that of the previous address, e.g. if you moved house in September 2020 ensure this date is repeated as your last date at your previous address and also the first date that you moved into your new address.
- If you have spent a period of 6 months or more outside of the UK you may be asked to provide more documentation or answer some extra questions for us to complete the Criminal Records check process for that country where applicable.
- My documents
- Terms and Conditions
Stage 5: Security Watchdog process your received application
You have now completed your application form and you will be given a reference number. Please make a note of this number for reference purposes, as you may need it for future reference. If you entered an email address onto your application form, you will receive a confirmation email containing these details.
Your form will now be processed by Security Watchdog and will be sent to the DBS. It takes approximately 2-4 weeks for a disclosure result to be returned, however this is not a guarantee. You will receive your own copy in the post.
Security Watchdog will undertake International Criminality Checks where a student has lived outside the UK for a period of 6 months or more. If additional information is required for Security Watchdog to undertake these checks, they will contact you for additional information.
Security Watchdog will reach out to you if any details are missing to ensure you are guided through resolving any issues.
If you have any questions, please contact the University of Leeds Security Watchdog screening team on 01420 593830 who will be happy to assist. Alternatively, you can use the online chat bot on the Help Hub who can provide guidance on documentation and application queries.
Stage 6: DBS Certificate approval and receiving your certificate
Once you have successfully submitted your application and verified your proof of identity and address the DBS will undertake and process your Enhanced DBS check and issue a certificate which is posted to you at the current home address you provided as part of your application.
Once your application has been successful the SES Placements Team will receive confirmation of your DBS number.
Please ensure you keep the original copy of the DBS certificate you receive safe as you may be asked by your placement providers to provide this evidence prior to your placement starting (this is particularly relevant to the Year 4 PAEDS placement). Where your placement provider requires proof of your DBS certificate, they will contact you for this information.