Disabled applicants

Setting up support at University can take time so if you hold an offer to study at Leeds you can engage early with us in Disability Services to identify support and adjustments you may require if you come to study here. 

Any applicant with an offer can begin the process of setting up support with Disability Services, we are keen to work with applicants and it does not matter if you do not later came to Leeds. For an introduction to Disability Services, and the process of accessing support, download our Prospective Student Handbook.

Our website also provides information to applicants and students. It tells you more about who we support, the support we offer, and how the process works.

Essential steps to setting up your support

Disability Services can only consider appropriate support and adjustments once you have completed registration and provided sufficient evidence.

Additional steps to consider

  • Read the Disability Services Prospective Student Handbook
  • Think about what support may be beneficial in order to study at University
  • Attend a Service Information Day during the summer to find out more about Disability Services (information will be emailed to registered students)
  • Consider accommodation options and provide the necessary paperwork for accessible accommodation, if required

Service information days

In addition to our registration process, Disability Services invites you to visit us on one of our Service Information Days. These will give you an opportunity to find out more about our Service and the support available. There will also be information on applying for external funding that may be available, such as Disabled Students’ Allowances, and the steps you need to take next to set up your support.  

You will be able to meet our teams, other prospective students and tour the key areas of campus.

There are four Service Information Days leading up to September 2019 for you to choose from: 

  • Friday 14th June
  • Friday 5th July
  • Friday 2nd August
  • Friday 20th September

If you are interested in attending a Service Information Day, please book here

Frequently Asked Questions

Application and Support

  • Who do you support?

Disability Services is here to support any student who has disclosed a disability in their academic studies throughout their time at the University of Leeds. You are considered to be disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical, neurological, developmental or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities. For a student, 'normal day to day activities' might include taking notes, writing, researching, reading large amounts of text and moving between multiple locations. For more information, visit our website to find out more.

  • I am thinking about applying to the University of Leeds. What disability support is available?

Once you have registered with Disability Services our Disability Advisory Team will work to identify appropriate support and adjustments. This might include exam arrangements, one to one support and informing your academic department about your requirements. You can find out more by downloading our Prospective Student Handbook.

Declaring your disability

  • Should I declare my disability to the University? What happens if I do?

We encourage you to tell us about your disability so that we can work with you to make adjustments to your learning and teaching, and so that we can set up your support and exam arrangements. Offers are made based solely on academic criteria. Declaring a disability does not affect your application and information about disability is not used when considering academic eligibility for the chosen programme of study. It is reviewed in order to identify your potential study-related support requirements, and your eligibility for disability-related support funding.

  • Who will my information be shared with?

We know that the information you share with us may be sensitive and we take this responsibility seriously. You can visit our website to find out more about what we do with your data once you register with Disability Services.

  • Can Disability Services help me set up non-academic support (such as personal care and help with attending social activities)?

Disability Services provides support related to navigating academic barriers. For students who need other types of support they may need to involve other agencies. For example:

  • Support with personal care will continue to be arranged by your local authority. For example Leeds City Council. Please note: you will need to contact your local home authority for further information.
  • Leeds University Union (LUU) offers free, confidential and impartial advice on finances, including applying for state benefits. For more information, please visit LUU's student help and support page.
  • The Accommodation team at the University has obligations as a landlord to support students to ensure University accommodation meets your needs. For more information, please visit our accommodation site.
  • There is also the Finance team who provide guidance on the support available around finance and funding outside of Disability Services. For more information, please visit our finance page
  • Student Counselling and Wellbeing also provide emotional, psychological and mental health support. For more information about their services, please visit our counselling and wellbeing page

Useful Downloads 

  • Accessing Support (Word / PDF
  • Applying for Disabled Students' Allowance (Word / PDF