Providing your evidence

In order to complete your registration with Disability Services, or put in place exam arrangements or support, you will need to provide sufficient evidence.

Evidence of a physical or sensory disability, or a mental health condition

You will need to provide a letter from your doctor, consultant or other medical practitioners. 

This should:

  • be on official headed paper
  • be as up to date as possible -this is not vital if it is a long-term or life-long condition
  • give a clear clinical diagnosis of a disability that is likely to affect your ability to do every day, or academic, tasks
  • clearly state that your disability is long-term (e.g. has lasted for, or is likely to last for at least 12 months)
  • indicate the impact your disability has on your daily life and/or studies
  • be written in English 

Evidence of dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties

The level of support you can receive at University will depend on the type of evidence you have provided. You may need to seek further evidence in order to get the support or exam arrangements you need. Please see below for further information:

 If you have provided… Level of support you can receive
  • A letter or other document from your school, college or previous university,  which confirms that the you had exam arrangements, what these were, and the reason for the arrangements
  • Form 8 exam access arrangements assessment report (JCQ) confirming that you had exam arrangements in your previous school or college

We may recommend permanent exam arrangements for the duration of your studies, starting from the first exam series after you have submitted the evidence, as long as the evidence is received by Disability Services by the published deadline. Please note, deadlines are usually set at least 10 weeks before the exam period.

The Disability Team will contact you by email to confirm your exam arrangements.

Form 8 or other evidence of past exam arrangements will only make you eligible for exam arrangements. You must provide further diagnostic evidence to be eligible for other forms of support.

  • A report from a psychological assessment carried out at any age which confirms your diagnosis of specific learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia).

This assessment should have been carried out by carried out by an educational psychologist or specialist teacher who held an active Assessment Practicing Certificate (APC) at the time of the assessment


We may recommend exam arrangements and a range of University reasonable adjustments for learning and teaching including (where applicable):

  • Permission to audio record / access to Lecture Capture
  • Marking consideration
  • Consideration of flexibility with deadline extension requests
  • Lecture materials in advance of teaching
  • Directed reading lists
  • Written instructions
  • Extended library loans

You will also be eligible to apply for funding to cover specialist 1-1 study skills support and assistive technology.  This is funding is known as Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) (some courses, including Degree Apprentice and Research Council funded Post Graduate Research study, are not eligible for DSA. Other sources of disability support funding apply for these courses).

The Disability Team will create a summary of support recommendations to send to you and your school. They will also contact you by email to confirm your exam arrangements.

Please see here for information about how to arrange a diagnostic assessment. Please note that the University of Leeds is not able to provide or fund a diagnostic assessment.

  • A Needs Assessment Report- carried out as part of an application for Disabled Students Allowances

An active DSA application for the current academic year means that you are eligible to receive reasonable adjustments from the University as well as any assistive technology, 1-1 support and other support recommended in your report. If you are not sure how to access the support that you’ve been recommended, please speak to Disability Services.  

  • Results of an SpLD/ dyslexia screening test e.g. Quick Scan

This does not count as evidence of a diagnosis. If your screening test has indicated a likelihood of dyslexia/ SpLD then you will need to follow this up with a full diagnostic assessment. Please see here for further information about arranging an assessment.

Please contact Disability Services for information about how to arrange a post 16 diagnostic assessment.

Unsuitable Evidence

Please note that the following types of documentation are not usually sufficient to access on-going support or permanent exam arrangements at university:

  • Results of an SpLD/ dyslexia screening test e.g. QuickScan
  • Medical letters which do not meet the criteria set out above, or where there is no clinical diagnosis 

Form 8 or other documents confirming exam arrangements at school, college or previous university are sufficient for permanent exam arrangements at university, but no other forms of support or reasonable adjustments. 

If you are unsure about your evidence, or finding it difficult to obtain, please contact us to discuss this further: telephone 0113 343 3927 or email

Evidence and Sign Up

Please be aware that we cannot complete your registration, or put in place exam arrangements or support, without sufficient evidence.  Please email your evidence to as soon as possible.