Visas for study abroad

Check and obtain the necessary visa documentation for your host country as soon as possible, so that your arrival isn't delayed.

Visa application


Applying for your Visa

In order to apply for your visa, you will need to have been formally accepted by your host university. When this happens, you will be provided with a letter of acceptance. You will need this document to start your visa application.

Each university will follow different procedures when issuing your acceptance and they will contact you with more information on how to retrieve your documents. Depending on the processes set by your host country, you may need to book an appointment with the relevant Embassy to give your biometrics or you may be invited for interview with immigration authorities.

Need help with your visa application? Unfortunately, we in the Study Abroad Office are not legally qualified to offer detailed visa advice. Please seek guidance from relevant embassy or consulate websites or contact your host university directly. Your host university will be able to put you in touch with immigration advisers who can answer detailed questions about your visa application.

Visa Costs

The below figures are based on fees for UK citizens using standard (rather than express) visa services. If you do not hold a British passport, this information may not be relevant to you. 

The visa costs below may be subject to change without warning. Confirm up-to-date figures on the relevant embassy or consulate websites:

Worldwide destinations:

  • Argentina: $250 consular fee, plus £55 ACRO Police Certificate and immigration tax
  • Australia: From A$620
  • Brazil: £465, plus £55 ACRO Police Certificate. Please note there will also be Federal Police fees for Foreign Registration and a Foreign ID card
  • Canada: C$150 for the Study Permit, C$85 biometrics fee, plus C$116 for the certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) if studying in Quebec
  • Chile: US$870 for the visa, plus £50-£100 for medical certificates and £55 ACRO Police Certificate
  • China: £150 for the visa, plus £35.25 application service fee
  • Hong Kong: HK$350 – HK$900 – this will vary depending on the university
  • Indonesia: £125
  • Israel: US$54
  • Japan: £44
  • Mexico: $32.87
  • Morocco: £27 postal order, plus £55 ACRO Police Certificate, then approximately £75 on arrival
  • New Zealand: NZ$330 (online application), £177 plus £19 service fee plus a courier fee (paper application)
  • Singapore: S$30 processing fee and S$60 issuance fee, and approximately S$80 for the required medical report. Please check if the issuance fee and the required medical report will be needed.
  • South Africa: £35 plus £40 service charge, plus £55 ACRO Police Certificate and £50-100 medical certificate plus cost of chest x-ray (speak to your doctor about this)
  • South Korea: £193 
  • Taiwan: £50 (resident visa), plus £55 ACRO Police Certificate
  • Thailand: £150
  • Turkey: £348
  • USA: $160 visa application fee, $220 SEVIS fee, plus trip to London for visa interview

European destinations:

  • Austria: €120 visa application fee, €20 grant fee and €20 personalization costs (acceptance of photo and signature)
  • Belgium: €207
  • Cyprus: 15-30 Cyprus Pounds
  • Czech Republic: £84
  • Denmark: 2,000DKK visa application fee, plus 595DKK service charge
  • Finland: £390 or £304 for electronic application
  • France: €99 for visa application, plus £31.89 service fee
  • Germany: €75 (the fee is fixed in Euro but payable in British Pounds only), plus £28.30 (€32.90) service fee
  • Greece: €90 for the visa application, plus €150 for the residence permit
  • Hungary:  €60 for residency permit
  • Iceland : 15,000 ISK. Application and all supporting documents must be received by the Directorate no later than June 1st, in order to process the application before the semester starts
  • Italy: €50 for visa administration
  • Netherlands: exempt from long stay visa but need to apply for a residency permit. The fee is €192 and the host university can submit the application for a residence permit for study
  • Norway: NOK 4,900 application fee, plus a service charge
  • Poland: £72
  • Portugal: €75 for a temporary stay visa (less than one year) or €90 for a residency visa (more than a year)
  • Slovenia: £71
  • Spain: £54.40 administration fee. Please note that this fee does not include other charges that might apply depending on the type of visa. Citizens of UK, Australia, Canada and USA will be applied with the Principle of Reciprocity and fees will vary between £73.25 and £350.05
  • Sweden: €60
  • Switzerland: £74 



Some host universities may send hard copies of supplementary documents you may need for your visa application by post. It is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain all of your paperwork in a timely manner in order to avoid any delays with your visa application. 

Some applications will require police/medical immunisation checks that will take time to arrange. Your host university will provide you with your acceptance documents to allow you to complete all the necessary steps for your visa application. However, it is your responsibility to make sure you act on this promptly to avoid any problems.

Showing financial evidence for your visa application. Most students will be asked to provide evidence of financial support for the duration of their study abroad year when applying for their visa. 

Financial evidence


The majority of countries expect you to show evidence of your financial support at the point of applying for the student visa, which can be anywhere between May and September. 

However, students selected to study in the USA, Japan and Hong Kong will be asked to provide evidence of financial support at the point of formal application to the host university between January and March. If you are selected to study abroad at any of these destinations should be aware that: 


  • You cannot usually use your student loan as evidence of funds as you cannot usually apply to Student Finance early enough to receive your loan statement in time for the host university’s application. This does not mean that you can't use your student loan to pay for your study abroad year; it just means that you can't use it as financial evidence.
  • The figure you are asked to evidence will be advertised on your host university’s embassy website or will be communicated by your host university directly. The figures given are a minimum amount - you should try and show access to as much money as you are able, as exchange rates can change on a daily basis.




The countries detailed require UK nationals to show evidence that they have enough money to cover the cost of living for one year in the host country. 

Please note that these figures are subject to changes made to immigration laws introduced by each country. Please make sure you check relevant embassies' websites for most updated information.

  • Argentina: evidence of enough funds to cover air tickets and expenses - contact the consulate for details
  • Brazil: US$1000 per month
  • Canada: Quebec: C$917 per month; other provinces: C$833 per month 
  • Chile: contact the consulate for details 
  • Hong Kong: evidence of enough funds to cover air tickets and expenses - contact host university for guidance 
  • Israel: contact the consulate for details
  • Japan: around 120,000 Yen per month 
  • Mexico: £511 
  • New Zealand: NZ$15,000 
  • South Africa: There is no fixed amount that students need to prove but students will need to demonstrate that they are financially sound and that they able to maintain themselves financially support themselves throughout their time in the country. Previously students have been expected to show ZAR8500 per month
  • South Korea: approximately £9,500 – to be confirmed with your certificate of acceptance
  • Thailand: 20,000 Baht
  • Turkey: at least £3000 for 6 months stay 
  • USA: see "Estimated living expenses: USA" below


The countries detailed require UK nationals to show evidence that they have enough money to cover the cost of living for one year in the host country.

Please note that these figures are subject to changes made to immigration laws introduced by each country. Please make sure you check relevant embassies' websites for most updated information.

  • Austria: Up to 24 years of age: €6,630.36 per year. Over 24 years of age: €12,005.76 per year. This amount must be available on the account after fixed costs are deducted (rent, health insurance etc.)
  • Belgium: €679 per month of stay
  • Cyprus: €670 per month of stay
  • Czech Republic: At least 15x 2,490 CZK. This amount increases by 2,490 CZK per each full month = 37,350 CZK + 2,490 for each full month
  • Denmark: DKK 6,321 per month for a maximum of 12 months
  • Finland: €6,720
  • France: minimum €615 per month of stay
  • Germany: minimum €861 per month of stay
  • Iceland: ISK 212,694 per month of stay
  • Italy: at least €6000 per year
  • Netherlands: €950 per month / €11,400 for one year
  • Norway: minimum NOK 126,357 per year
  • Portugal: €665 per month of stay
  • Slovenia: the amount equal to the minimum income in Slovenia
  • Spain: €564,90 per month of stay, unless it is duly proven that the accommodation has been paid in advance for the entire duration of the stay
  • Sweden: SEK 8,568 per month of stay
  • Switzerland: 21,000 CHF or €19,200 at the beginning of each year of studies


If you are placed at a US institution, you must demonstrate to your host university that you are able to afford the cost of living for the year you will spend there. Your host university is responsible for issuing your visa documents and financial evidence must be provided with your formal application to your host university. Your host university is bound by US immigration law and exceptions cannot be made to financial evidence requirements. 

How much should I be showing access to? 

The amounts listed below are based on the information provided by our partner universities for immigration purposes only. While the amounts listed here are not necessarily an exact reflection of how much you will spend during a year abroad, you should expect to spend at least the amount shown and should budget accordingly. A breakdown of expected costs is normally available on the host university's website.

Amounts listed were given for the 2020/21 application period (full academic year) and may be subject to change for later applicants. 

  • Arizona State University: $23,513 
  • Bentley University: $19,779 – 26,579
  • California State University at Monterey Bay: $18,500 
  • California State University at San Marcos: $19,200 (on hold for 2021/22)
  • Colorado School of Mines: $18,900 
  • Drexel University: $19,280 
  • Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University: $13,810
  • Florida International University: $21,160
  • George Washington University:$25,315
  • Georgia Institute of Technology: $18,695 
  • Juniata College: $15,900 
  • North Carolina State University: $18,410 
  • Northern Arizona University: $16,361 
  • Purdue University: $14,370 (on hold for 2021/22)
  • Penn State University, Pennsylvania: $21,300 
  • Rensselear Polytechnic Institute: $19,400
  • Sonoma State University: $21,436  
  • State University of New York – Stony Brook: $28,882 
  • State University of New York – Brockport: $18,000 
  • Towson University: $18,300
  • University of Hawaii: $20,042
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: $17,800
  • University of Kansas: $13,542 
  • University of Kentucky: $16,503
  • University of Louisville: $13,000 
  • University of Massachusetts: $20,000 
  • University of Minnesota: $18, 970 
  • University of Mississippi: $13,420 
  • University of Nebraska: $19,947 
  • University of New Mexico: $13,250 
  • University of North Texas: $16,648 
  • University of Rochester: $20,894 
  • University of Vermont: $16,000 
  • University of South Carolina: $18,455 
  • University of Wisconsin-Madison: $15,800  
  • Western New England University: $18,690

How do I show access to funds? 

The easiest way to show evidence of funds is usually to provide bank statements, or a letter from the bank confirming the total amount of funds in the account on a given date.

Bank statements

You can usually show statements from as many different bank accounts as necessary in order to meet the total required (eg current account, savings, ISA, etc.). However, the bank accounts must usually be:

  • ‘instant access’ and statements must usually be originals. Online statements are sometimes accepted, but they must be full statements with the account number, account holder's name, bank logo, and the date. A simple screenshot of transactions is not normally acceptable.
  • less than three months old at the time of your application. If your bank only issues annual or quarterly statements, you may need to request additional statements or letters from them. Make sure to leave enough time for your request to be processed (this can sometimes be a week or two) before any deadlines you are given.

Letter from your bank

Letters must be on headed paper, with a logo and stamp if possible. If you are providing a bank letter, it is acceptable for the bank to include an indemnifying clause to indicate that they can't guarantee the funds beyond the date the letter is written.