Study Abroad options

Leeds offers a great selection of different global opportunities that you can engage in during your time here – see what is available below. 

A table illustrating the various global opportunities offered to students at Leeds


Standard study abroad year: study your subject abroad

This study abroad year allows you to focus on your subject while studying at one of our partner institutions and includes our Open Exchange and Subject-based Exchange destinations. 

Open Exchange and Subject-based Exchange: What is the difference?

Standard study abroad


These destinations are open to all students across the University and have been selected for the range of degree programmes offered. Students interested in applying for these institutions must ensure that they teach a good range of modules in their subject area before applying. You should:


The links with these destinations have been established by academics in your School based on their suitability with your degree subject. If you apply to study at any of these universities, you are guaranteed that you will have a good range of subject-related modules to take abroad.

What can I study on a standard study abroad year?

If you are selected to undertake a standard study abroad year, you will be expected to take approximately two-thirds of your required credit load in your main degree subject.

Explore our Open Exchange and Subject-based Exchange destinations on our Where can I go? page. 

Horizon study abroad year: think outside the box


The Horizon study abroad year is a unique University of Leeds programme that allows you to develop key employability skills, such as linguistic and intercultural competencies at selected partner institutions in Mexico, Morocco, Israel, South Korea, Japan, China and Thailand.

What can I study on a Horizon year abroad?

The academic content of a Horizon study abroad year focuses on language learning and intercultural understanding. You will be required to:

  • complete MODL3150 Intercultural Communication and Global Citizenship (on a distance-learning basis), which is a compulsory 20-credit Leeds module.
  • select the remaining workload from a range of modules that will allow you to learn more about the language and culture of your host country. You are especially encouraged to pick language modules and develop your language skills if you choose this programme.
  • attend a compulsory Horizon meeting in the summer before you depart.

If you choose to study abroad through this programme, you will also be able to pick modules related to your degree subject provided that they are taught in a language that you understand.

Explore our Horizon destinations on our Where can I go? page. 


1. If you are on a standard three-year degree course.

For most students on a standard three-year degree course, a study abroad year is taken as an additional year. Once you have been successful in being selected to study abroad, your course will be changed to a four-year international variant of your degree. You will study abroad in your third year and return to Leeds to complete your final year.

If you are going on an additional study abroad year, you will usually be assessed on a pass/fail basis according to learning outcomes set by your teaching school.

2. If you are on a four-year Integrated Masters programme. 

For students on a four-year integrated masters degree, the placement and academic assessment of a study abroad year varies by faculty. 

For some, a study abroad year is taken as an integral replacement year in your third year and the marks you receive on your year abroad usually contribute to your final degree classification. For others, a study abroad year is taken as an additional year in either the third or fourth year of study and your study abroad year will be assessed on a pass/fail basis. Your School Study Abroad Coordinator will be able to advise on which of the following applies to you.

If you study abroad year is an integrated part of your degree, the marks you obtain while studying abroad will count towards your final degree classification.


No matter through which option you will be studying abroad, your University of Leeds degree will be changed to reflect your international experience. When you graduate from the University of Leeds you will receive the word 'international' in brackets at the end of your degree title.


Most students who choose to study abroad must do so for a full academic year. However, there are a small number of degree programmes, which allow students to study abroad for a single semester. If you are studying one of the following programmes, speak to your School Study Abroad Coordinator about the option of a single semester abroad:

  • BA International Development (School of Politics)
  • MSc International Business (Leeds University Business School)

Short programmes

The Outgoing Study Abroad team also offers summer abroad opportunities for University of Leeds students. Read more about Summer Abroad options.