Study Abroad entry requirements

First you need to be sure you qualify to study abroad. The questions on this page will help you decide.


Have you achieved a 2:1 in your first year?

You usually need to have achieved a minimum average of 60 in your first year examinations to apply to study abroad. If you have a slightly lower average (usually 57-59) you may still be considered for certain universities if places are available and only if your school supports your application.

If your average is between 57 and 59, you must discuss your application with your Study Abroad Coordinator. Your application to study abroad cannot be considered unless you have the support of your parent school.

If you have mitigating circumstances that affected your year 1 results, you may be request that your circumstances be taken into consideration for your application to Study Abroad. Please read the 'Policy on submitting mitigating circumstances for study abroad applications' at the bottom of the How to apply for Study Abroad page and speak to your School Study Abroad Coordinator or the Study Abroad office before applying.

*Note: achieving an average mark of 60 means you are eligible to apply to study abroad, but it doesn't guarantee you will be selected to study abroad at one of your preferred destinations.

Can you study abroad on your degree programme?

Most undergraduate degrees offered at Leeds support study abroad opportunities organised by the Study Abroad office. However, it’s not possible for some courses, eg in the Schools of Medicine or Healthcare. If you are unsure, check with your School Study Abroad Coordinator or the Study Abroad office.

If study abroad is already a compulsory part of your degree course, different eligibility criteria may apply. Speak to your School Study Abroad Coordinator to find out more.

Do you have the necessary language skills?

Studying abroad can be a great chance to develop your language skills even if you don’t study a foreign language as part of your degree. However, if your chosen destination teaches in a foreign language, you will be asked to evidence some knowledge of the language as part as your application to study abroad. 

The language level you will need to show evidence for varies depending on the institution. Make sure that you log in the Minerva Study Abroad Organisation to check the language requirements set by your selected partner institutions before applying. 

A growing number of Leeds’ partner institutions teach in English even where it is not the main spoken language in the country, so you may not necessarily need to speak another language to study abroad in Europe or Asia. 

More information about required levels and ways to improve your language skills in Languages.

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria

If you are not eligible to study abroad as part of your degree, consider applying for a short programme, such as a summer school. Read Short programmes.