Programme Supervisor Information
Students may be approaching academic staff to supervise their research projects for Laidlaw Leadership and Research Programme 2024.
The Laidlaw Scholars Leadership and Research Programme sponsors scholars in 17 leading universities around the world. It is designed to create a new generation of leaders who care about solving intractable problems; who behave with integrity and are determined to make the world a better place.
26 scholarships are awarded to students at Leeds in their first year of a three year undergraduate degree programme or first or second year of a four year undergraduate degree programme.
Projects are encouraged to have an international dimension – e.g. a focus on another country or contain a global element. This may include an opportunity to spend all or part of the research period in an overseas university or placement.
The scholarships aim to create an international network of diverse, passionate and ethical leaders who will reinvest their skills, knowledge and experience to help others succeed.
To date, more than one thousand scholars have completed the programme all over the world.
Benefits for you
There are many benefits to being a Laidlaw Programme research project supervisor, including:
- an opportunity to support and mentor ambitious and proactive students
- an opportunity to select the very best undergraduate students who can make a genuine contribution to your research
- the chance to accompany your students to a celebration event which will be organised for all Leeds Laidlaw scholars
- the chance for you, your students and the department to be featured in profile-raising opportunities during the programme
- the development of students, including the development of potential Masters and PhD candidates, who can make a lasting contribution to your school’s research output, recruitment and reputation.
Guidence for supporting a student with a self propossed project
A typical six week research project would anticipate a time commitment of an average of 15 hours. Please contact Rebecca Shaw or Matt Penhaligon if you would like further information.
Further information about the Laidlaw Programme and being a supervisor Supervisor Information 2022-23.pptx
Laildaw Supervisor Testimonials