If you are a care leaver or care experienced we understand that you may have different concerns to other students.
As a first step, get in touch with Lisa Firth our contact for care leaver and care experienced students for an informal chat to find out how we might be able support you. If you'd like to book an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0113 343 7669.
Below is a summary of some of the support available at the University of Leeds as well as other useful links for information and guidance.
Prior to your arrival at Leeds, make sure that you apply for a Leeds means-tested undergraduate scholarship Leeds means-tested undergraduate scholarships as you may receive priority consideration.
If you are in financial hardship we can help you apply to the Access to Learning Fund once you have started your study at Leeds.
As a care leaver the University can offer:
- A guaranteed place in University-owned accommodation
- The offer of 365-day accommodation
- A waiver of the upfront security deposit for University-owned accommodation
Contact Lisa to find out if you are eligible.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
Interested in connecting with other care leaver/care experienced students?
Staying in Leeds during the vacation? There are still student events and activities you can get involved in.
Dont forget the support offered by Wellbeing and Counselling Service including:
On Course Support
As a care leaver/care experienced student you are eligible for the Plus Programme which includes:
- Study skills workshops
- Personal skills workshops, such as budgeting, confidence building, wellbeing
- Employability workshops and notifications of opportunities for internships, jobs and volunteering
- Mentoring schemes
- Social events
- Personal support from our contact for care leaver and care experienced students
- Help with accessing support services careers, LUU, Skills@Library, counselling, personal tutors etc so you dont have to keep repeating your situation
You can read about more help you can receive from the information provided by these charities to assist care leavers in Higher Education:
If you'd like to book an appointment to talk about your care leaver status or the support available at the University of Leeds, please email email@example.com or phone 0113 343 7669.