Care Leaver


If you are a care leaver or care experienced we understand that you may have different concerns to other students.

As a first step, get in touch with Lisa Firth – our contact for care leaver and care experienced students – for an informal chat to find out how we might be able support you. If you'd like to book an appointment, please email .

Below is a summary of some of the support available at the University of Leeds as well as other useful links for information and guidance.


Prior to your arrival at Leeds, make sure that you apply for a Leeds means-tested undergraduate scholarship Leeds means-tested undergraduate scholarships as you may receive priority consideration.

If you are in financial hardship we can help you apply to the Leeds Hardship Fund once you have started your study at Leeds.


As a care leaver or care experienced student the University can offer:


  • A guaranteed place in University-owned accommodation 
  • The offer of 365-day accommodation 
  • A waiver of the upfront security deposit for University-owned accommodation
  • A free kitchen utensils and bedding pack for students in University-owned and partner owned accommodation starting their first year

Contact Lisa to find out if you are eligible.

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Staying in Leeds during the vacation? There are still student events and activities you can get involved in.

Don’t forget the support offered by Wellbeing and Counselling Service including:

· Groups and workshops to enhance your wellbeing and develop skills and self-awareness

· Big White Wall – a supportive online community offering 24/7 online peer and professional support

· Meditation and Relaxation Downloads

· Headstart cards offering advice on a range of common issues.

On Course Support

As a care leaver/care experienced student you are eligible for the Plus Programme which includes:


  • Study skills workshops
  • Personal skills workshops, such as budgeting, confidence building, wellbeing
  • Employability workshops and notifications of opportunities for internships, jobs and volunteering
  • Mentoring schemes
  • Social events
  • Personal support from  our contact for care leaver and care experienced students
  • Help with accessing support services –careers, LUU, Skills@Library, counselling, personal tutors etc– so you don’t have to keep repeating your situation

Helpful Information

You can read about more help you can receive from the information provided by these charities to assist care leavers in Higher Education:








If you'd like to book an appointment to talk about your care leaver status or the support available at the University of Leeds, please email or call 0113 343 7669.