University mental health advisors

Student Counselling & Wellbeing Service - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update 

The Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service remains open with all support now being offered remotely by Zoom. 

Students seeking same day support for their mental health and wellbeing should book a Drop-In session via the Student Counselling and Wellbeing Hub. Alternatively email us at

Students who would like to register for an appointment should complete our online registration form via the Student Counselling and Wellbeing Hub. Registration forms are reviewed daily and students will be contacted with the offer of a wellbeing, counselling or mental health advisor support. Waiting times for appointments are currently between 2-4 weeks depending on the type of appointment.

Please note: Remote/online support is not appropriate where students are experiencing thoughts of self-harm or suicide. If this is the case students must contact their local GP and/or Crisis team as a matter of urgency. 

For up to date information regarding the University’s response to COVID-19 including up-to-date guidance for managing your emotional wellbeing please see: and Student FAQs

If you're experiencing a mental health difficulty then our Mental Health team can provide a range of free and confidential support appropriate to your personal and academic needs.


Mental Health Advisors

Mental Health Advisors are part of the Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service. If you are concerned that your mental health is impacting on your ability to study and to cope with life at university, please complete an application form to arrange an appointment to come and speak with us. 

We work with students who have a diagnosis of a serious mental health condition diagnosed by an NHS Secondary Care Psychiatrist. We will work with you to help you manage your mental health difficulties in relation to your time here at Leeds and your studies. 

The registration form is available on the Student Counselling and Wellbeing Hub

There's a great range of support available for you, and we can help to ensure you are able to access all the relevant and appropriate sources of assistance. The University takes issues relating to confidentiality, disclosure and data protection seriously. 

Working with external services and other people

Many of the students we support are working with a secondary care service such as a Community Mental Health Team, psychiatrist or psychologist and any support we offer you will supplement this ongoing support. It could be that part of the work we do together is to support you to get this external care and make onward referrals. 

You may also have a diagnosis and feel this is well managed without the need for any further support from the university. During your time at university if you do feel the need for support or signposting, we can support you with this. 

We will support you if you're finding it difficult to disclose or explain your condition to your school, and to your friends and family, if this is your wish.

What we offer

We offer one-to-one ongoing support. This support can be just one session for signposting or we could support you for the duration of the time you are at Leeds. The duration of support will be determined by yourself and the advisor you work with. 

In fact, all the support we offer is done by us working together and the direction of it will be determined by what you want and need in terms of your diagnosis. For example, we may work with you to develop a support plan to help you identify and manage your symptoms. We can also implement existing Care Plans when needed or support you in developing one. 

We will work with you to explore and implement strategies to help you manage your diagnosis to ensure your time at Leeds and your life at university is full and fulfilling. 

Mental Health support from the Disability Coordinator team

In addition to support from the Mental Health team, you may also be able to obtain help from the Disability team depending on the nature of your mental health issue. General equipment and support services are available to all University of Leeds disabled students and you may also be able to get condition-specific help if you apply for additional funding. This might include:

  • weekly one to one learning strategy support
  • the opportunity to attend study skills workshops
  • personalised specialist mentoring to help you stay on track with academic work, organise your studies and help you settle into life at the University.

How can you get all the help you need?

To ensure you get all the help you need we encourage you to:

  • apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
  • speak to your disability contact within your school
  • register and make an appointment to speak to a disability coordinator within the Disability team.
  • attend a drop-in session, 9:30-11am and 2-4pm, Monday to Friday. Come visit us on the ground floor of the Chemistry West Block (55A on the campus map).

To access some of the services your mental health condition needs to have lasted, or be likely to last, for 12 months or more and have an impact on your studies. You will need to provide medical evidence from your GP or other mental health professional about the nature of your mental health issues.


This page was last updated on 01/10/2021