Language centre visa extensions in September

Language Centre pre-sessional students who are starting a new course at the University can follow these instructions to extend their visa in the UK.

You'll be able to come along to an appointment to get your application and documents checked by our visa team. If you have any questions, you may find the answer on this page, or you can contact the International Student Office.

The Tier 4 presentation can be found here.

Your new CAS

Your new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) will emailed to you by Taught Postgraduate Admissions (if you'll be studying a Masters degree) or Undergraduate Admissions (if you'll be studying a Bachelors degree) during the week that you complete your pre-sessional course, the end date of the course is Friday 14 September 2018. 

If you've not received your new CAS by Friday 14 September you should email Taught Postgraduate Admissions (if you'll be studying a Masters degree): or Undergraduate Admissions (if you'll be studying a Bachelors degree): to follow it up.

How much money do I need?

You need to hold at least £9,135 which is the Tier 4 requirement for living expenses, plus any tuition fees that you have not paid in your bank account every day for 28 days at the time you make your Tier 4 visa application. Your bank account statement should be no more than 31 days old at the time you submit and pay for your visa application.

Queries about tuition and accommodation fees

Q. If I've paid my tuition fees in full before I make my application, how much money do I need?
A. At least £9,135 held in your bank account every day for 28 days, and is still held in your bank account at the time you make your Tier 4 visa application.

Q. If I 've paid half of my tuition fees before I make my application, how much money do I need?
A. At least £9,135 plus the other half of your tuition fees, held every day for 28 days in your bank account, at the time you make your Tier 4 visa application.

Q. If I've not paid any tuition fees, how much money do I need?
A. At least £9,135 plus the full amount for your tuition fees, held every day for 28 days in your bank account, at the time you make your Tier 4 visa application.

Q. I've paid my accommodation costs for the full year to my private accommodation provider; can I deduct this from the living expenses I need to show to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in my bank statement?
A. No, you can only deduct accommodation payments made up to a maximum of £1,265 if they have been paid to the University of Leeds. You cannot deduct any accommodation payments from the living expenses you need to show if they have been paid to a non-University of Leeds accommodation provider.

Timescales for spending the money

The UKVI rules are that you should keep the money you require for your living expenses in your bank account until your visa is granted. Therefore, if the pre-sessional course that you are currently studying is the first course you have studied in the UK, you need to hold at least £9,135 until your visa has been granted.

Type of bank statement needed

We recommend that your bank statement is an original one – this is a statement which is delivered through the post in an envelope to you.

Alternatively you can use statements printed from an online account, however each page of your statement must be stamped by the bank.

If you do not have a UK bank account you can use an overseas account.  This must be an original document and must be translated by a certified translator if the statement is not in English.

You can also use your parents bank account.  You will  require your birth certificate to prove your relationship and a letter from your parents confirming they are funding your studies in the UK.  These must also be original documents and if they are not in English they must be translated by a certified translator.

Complete the Tier 4 application form

After you've received your CAS, you should complete the online application form on the Home Office website. Please use this guide when completing your form.

You should stop completing the form after inputting your CAS number so any amendments required can be made when you have an appointment with a Visa Services Assistant.  

What should I bring with me to my appointment?

You need to write down your Tier 4 application login details (email address and password) and bring them with you – it is important that you do this to allow you to login to your online account at the start of your appointment.

Your Tier 4 application form should be completed in full up to the section where you input your CAS number before you attend your appointment.

A Visa Services Assistant will check that your application and documents are correct during the appointment. If you have not completed your Tier 4 application form before you attend your appointment, your appointment will be cancelled and you will not be offered another appointment.

You should bring the original documents that you will be submitting with your Tier 4 visa application with you to your appointment (a full list of documents is listed further down this page)

It is also very important that you photocopy each of your original documents, including your current visa and your passport details page, and bring them with you to your appointment. The International Student Office need to keep the copies and we'll send the original documents to UK Visas & Immigration. 

Documents you’ll need

It's your responsibility to collect all the documents that you need for your application. Any documents that are not in English must be translated into English. If you have a document that requires translation, you can search for a translator. Depending on your situation you might need different documents to your friends. The Tier 4 application form will help to tell you which documents you need. You'll need some, or all, of the following documents:

  • Your current passport
  • 2 passport sized photographs which has been taken within the month before you submit your new Tier 4 visa application
  • Payment for your application - you will need a debit or credit card to pay for your application
  • Sponsor letter (if you are financially sponsored by a government or international company)
  • Financial documents – bank statements, bank letters, savings books etc. You need to hold your funds for a minimum of 28 days and your bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the date you make your application
  • If you are relying on money held in your parents’ bank accounts you will need: Your original birth certificate or household register with an official translation if not in English; Your parents’ bank statements; A signed and dated letter from your parents confirming they are supporting you financially during your studies
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • Previous qualifications mentioned in your CAS. Usually the qualification you sent to Admissions to obtain your offer e.g. your undergraduate degree
  • Pre-sessional Certificate
  • Police Registration Certificate if applicable (if you have been in the UK for less than 6 months, you will not have a Police Registration Certificate)
  • ATAS Certificate if applicable – if you are studying a course at LUBS for example you will not need an ATAS certificate
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if applicable – you will only have a BRP if you have made a Tier 4 visa application in the UK before
  • Please note if you are from a low risk country you do not need to submit financial or academic documents with your application, but UKVI can make a request to see them during the application decision making process.

Documents not required

  • University Registration Certificate
  • Unconditional offer letter
  • Any qualifications that are not mentioned on your CAS
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Accommodation receipts
  • Covering letters to Home Office

Cost of the Tier 4 visa application

Our service is free of charge to international students at the University of Leeds. However, UK Visas & Immigration charge a fee:

Postal applications: £475

Priority applications: £952 

Applications made in person: £1085

In person appointments are limited during September and October because thousands of students in the UK are extending their visas during this time. Therefore if you wish to receive your visa and documents back quickly you should make a priority application as you will receive a decision within two weeks.  

How long will the process take?

Postal applications are, in most cases, decided within eight weeks of UKVI receiving the application.

Priority applications are decided within 10 working days of the application being made and it then takes a further 10 working days for your BRP to be issued and documents returned (4 weeks in total). 

Premium applications made in person at UKVI are, in most cases, decided on the same day with the BRP being issued within 10 working days of the appointment.

During busy periods such as September and October, UKVI may not have enough in person appointments so you may need to send your application by post even if this isn't your preference.

On occasion UKVI can take longer than their published processing times for a decision to be made, therefore please do not book any flights until you have received your visa as this may lead to you requiring to cancel a flight booking.

What if my old visa expires before I get my new visa?

Don't worry - you won't be in the UK illegally. As long as you submit and pay for your immigration application online before the expiry date of your current visa you are entitled to remain in the UK, on the same conditions, while UKVI consider your application. It doesn't matter how long UKVI take to make a decision.

Contact us

If you have a question that has not been answered on our web page, please contact us by emailing

If you need further advice, you can attend a drop-in session at the International Student Office at 10.30am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.